cruiser

Guest sirdar

Hear Hear Carol :dance

The More the Merrier....Long Live the Woodies :love

Such a shame to see one die...and Ive seen a few this year :cry

Steve...How right you are...Ricko's are top dollar in my book...Loved the place and the people from the very first visit in 62 and still the same...

Not so much business associates but True Friends...Boating without any hassle..Bliss

cheers...Terry

Hi Clive

I always admired your boats and there construction. Have you ever produced a history of the yard? and If you have ill bet it makes great reading.

cheers Steve

Hi Steve,

this is not a hijack :pirate

http://www.richardsonsgroup.net/about.aspx

dad tells me things every now and then but wont write any thing down, I have been writing bits down, he allways assumed no one was interested but is now realising they are.

he also is a bit modest and never thought anything he did was that good as it was just what was going on at the time so some things are only just coming to light. he also binned lots of stuff i would have liked to have now.

Hi Clive.

Off to Heathrow at 0400

You need to try and persuade him to jot stuff down. His achievements speak for themselves . the sheer volume of wooden and GRP craft. He built boats for the job. Those wooden craft had a classic " house" look.

Regards Steve

ps off to bed now

Hi Carol - PZ is kept not far from Surlingham Ferry so its often about in that neck of the woods. Many thanks for the image - always nice to have ones like that which you can't take yourself.

Tony (PZ)

It would have meen me you saw at the BA launch party with PZ

As for the engine - it is also a 4D Ford engine, marinised by Sutton Power Units.

We have tried a few things to cure the rattles and the current fix are brown felt pads on the back for the retainer clips to hole the glas tighter - which seems to work up to a point. But I keep wondering about some silion u chanel along the bottom of the glass - as with all things though, the implementation of this seems to take a few years!

Chris

Hi Chris

Great pictures. The second a Santa Caterina and I think a Vesta after it had been sold to Jenners (no grey paint) interesting to see the very perpendicular bow compared to the ultra modern Harvey Eastwood boat.The forth picture a Sirdar in Southgates livery and a Star Premiere although a later one than ours she is still on the Broads I think called capella, the only one with those small portholes in the front of the fore cabin.Also a nice Moores boat but I don't know which one.

lovely keep them coming.

Hi Barry - thanks for clarifying the history of some of the boats at Loddon. It was that year we had hired the Santa Cateraina - or maybe it was the Santa Margaretta - quite a beast at the time - interestingly in those days one went backwards and forwards under the Beccles bridge down to Geldeston and never seemed to get trapped by the tide even in that large boat. Can't seem to do that as much these days. Sadly the Santa Cat wasn't very reliable, even though it was pretty new at the time. Thus we returned to hiring from Brooms or Collins up at Wroxham.

Tony (PZ)

Barry mentioned about the Landamores Vestella which went missing in the 1950s on his thread, but Santa Caterina was another Broads cruiser which was stolen in the 1970s. It was hired to a German freelance writer and his family and failed to return to the yard at the end of it's fortnight's hire - it was finally located at Brightlingsea in Essex with the family asleep onboard. The hirer claimed that he was not told that they couldn't take the boat out to sea!! :o

I remember that story at the time and thought - based on our experience of hiring it for a week - that I would have never have risked a run out to sea much less down to Essex !!

Tony (PZ)

I had not heard that story but it was Harvey Eastwoods who built the yacht for that round the world sailor who regretably lost his mind and ultimately his life. Donald Crowhurst was that his name ?

Reliability in those days i think was a little hit and miss lousy bateries being the main culprits, there of course only being dynamoes as opposed to alternators. That is the one thing about Landamores I don't ever recall breaking down, especially after they relaced the old navigators with the brand new Volvo pentas. I remember Lesley saying they had had some phenominal speed out of a Vesta in the winter when testing a Penta for the first time.

I am on another ramble. Back in the mid eighties I had a share in a Pearly Monarch, you may remember the aluminium weekend/day boat Windboats built Prince Rainier being one of the first to buy one, anyway this boat had a twin carb 1800cc Penta in it and after having her bottom scrubbed and painted we had 23 knots out of her on Breydon, good fun.

Anyway Terry, I think, in the background we have the largest hire boat on the Broads in the sixties which is ?

post-133-136713484199_thumb.jpg

Hi Barry

Depends what you mean as largest...but in your lovely pic I spy "Broadsman 1" originally with Collins Pleasure Craft - Oulton Broad when named "Braemar 1" and subsequently bought by the Boss and ran out of Stalham for a number of yrs.

No 2 had a varnished hull and was lost in a fire....1967 if memory serves me right. Poss Clive may be able to update us on that...

cheers....Terry

Terry,

I recon you know the answer but are just testing me ;)

Luckily I think I know a bit about this...

They were renamed Broadsman 1 and 2. As you say, No2 caught fire at Hunsett Mill, I think she had a Graymarine motor.

I nearly suggested that it was one of them in the pic but the chances of being wrong were too great!

Hi boost pressure.

lovely collection of historic pics.

The Banham on the left is actually a Monarch. A398 One of the lost ones. Sirdars were only 32 feet long and she is moored stern on but appears somehat longer than the Star next to her. Also she has the two windows immediatley foward of cockpit " Linked into one" , which was a conversion done later by Banham/ NHB and not done on Sirdar class. All Sirdar class were "B" reg except for the real 5 which was "S". You can just about make out A398 on bow which shows she is a "Lost" Monarch. Id love to know where she ended up.

Lovely class pictures of a class group of craft.

Regards Steve

Hi all.

This thread is really turning out some class info and stunning pics.

You throw a stone into the water and watch the ripples spread!!

Regards to all Steve

Terry,

I recon you know the answer but are just testing me ;)

Luckily I think I know a bit about this...

They were renamed Broadsman 1 and 2. As you say, No2 caught fire at Hunsett Mill, I think she had a Graymarine motor.

I nearly suggested that it was one of them in the pic but the chances of being wrong were too great!

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!!

I got it all wrong :oops::oops:

Broadsman 1 (with the painted hull) caught fire at the yard on the riverbank. Ted Piggin put the fire out with a powder extinguisher but she recaught and burned up :(

she did have a Gray motor but was probably changed to a Ford watermota.

Hi Terry Springsong and all.

Been busy at work so a bit distracted. Am still sorting out Dads old piccies. So to keep you going :- First picture is Coleen built by Banhams Cambridge. the second is a shot of three Banhams together. Brunette, Emerald (Sirdar) and Belle. Now thats a rare one to see three from the yard together these days

Regards all

Steve[attachment=1]banhams coleen.jpg[/attachment]

Hi Matt of Perfect Lady.

Remember a while back in the thread you mentioned a Banham saily called Elusive built by the Cambridge yard for an "employee" who used to disappear for several weeks a year:-

That rang a bell so Ive been doing a bit of digging. If its the same boat and Im pretty sure it is she was built in the thirties by Banham Cambridge for HB ( Alf) Banham himself. So she has a really interesting pedigree. She originally was Alfs own private Saily and apparently according to Cambridge Sailing club was still in use and moored there in 2005. Does that fit in with your timeframe?

Regards

Steve

Hi,

is she Caroleen or Rushleen? probably Caroleen as Rushleen has been knocking about here for ages unless she went away and came back in a rough state...

Both built by Sabberton.

in saying that she is either Rushleen or neither!