cruiser

Guest sirdar

Hi Terry

You really are very good I saw you lurking around and thought it would not go for long. Try this one, It took me a long while to get it myself, I could not get past Brook/Broadwind. Sorry it is a little grainy but I have just learnt how to crop and optomize to jpeg, so it is out of a larger picture and I am playing, otherwise I shall run out of boats to guess at.

post-133-136713485194_thumb.jpg

Hi Barry...Here again

Yes...Easy one this time :oops::oops: ...Just in case I end up with egg on my face...When the full profile is there to see it makes it far easier and putting as you say Broad/Brookwind out of the equation there were only, to my memory 2 others to the Windboat design of that length.

One was "LADY CHRISTINA" and ran fron Newsons in Oulton - How they came by this and when, I'd be interested to find out if anyone has any History of her.

The second one and the one I'll go with was "KON-TIKI" of Burecraft Wroxham. The oval windows being the give-away. Do you have any idea Barry what year that pic was taken??? which leads me onto a question for you being WINDBOAT minded.

Going back to before the 2nd war I heard that Windboats had 2 larger vessels on hire than the ones we know about. Broadwind and Brookwind were 38ft and around for yrs but if my info is correct they, or to put it correctly Graham Bunn had 2 of 42 or poss 43ft named "GOODWIND" and "FRESHWIND". I have a copy of a 1947 Blakes that I managed to get off e-bay but no sign of them in there, Any Ideas please :idea:

Best Regards...Terry :Stinky

Hi Terry.

This is very interesting. One year whilst on holidayin the fifties we as kids do made friends with a bunch of kids of a boat called Kon-Tiki, I remember her as being a windboat and i think painted a kind of bluey greeny turqoise, I think Burecraft were just on the right as you entered Daisy Broad am I right ? The interesting thing about it being I have never up untill today heard mention of her or indeed Burecraft who I had completely forgotten about. Lady Christina I have never heard of either, I shall have too do some homework at the MOB. I had actually thought the boat in the picture was Shangre La from O Heft of oulton Broad.

The picture was taken in August 1959.

I have in the past seen pictures of these boats Goodwin and Freshwind. There is a small book called the Blue Book produced by Graham Bunn with pictures of all the types of boats he produced the big ones included also a very small version 28ft or so I think called Westwind. I never managed to get a copy, my friend who owned Nocturn at the same time I owned Springsong had a copy but much to my regret I lost touch with him and he has since died whilst I lived elsewhere. He used to live on Nocturn whilst working at The Hotel Wroxham, he sold Nocturn I believe and she went to somewhere in Wales but I have yet to confirm this or indeed find her. They were both built of Teak so she has a good chance of survival.

Do you know this one, I lusted after her for years but £ 9000 in the mid eighties was an aweful lot of bread.

post-133-136713485203_thumb.jpg

Well with a tender called that she must have been Bubble Gap?

Bubble Gap was sold mid 90s for about £17,500 I had never and have never seen a boat in such fine condition, when the owner left her he would open all the drawers, lift the bunks and rope the doors open and leave all the windows open.

Going back to the Brooms I can remember servicing a 35ft wooden Broom when I worked at Kris Cruisers, got to have been at least 10/12 years ago. It may have been Snowgoose but I'm not 100%. The old guy who owned her must have been nearly 80 at the time and he had rescued her from a hire yard on the thames and refurbed her himself.

My memory is lousy at times as all I can remember is that it had a very old diesel but cannot remember the make!!

Hi

I wonder if the anyone on here might be able to identify the following two cruisers as I haven't been able too .... well at least the yards that built them anyway! They were both owned by the family that my grandparents used to go boating with and the pictures date from c1950. Apologies for the poor quality but they were still taken from my grandfathers cine film. I don't know whether they were ever used in the hire fleets or not.

The first has the reg number B 547 (taken at St. Olaves) and the second was B 758.

Carol

post-500-136713485208_thumb.jpg

post-500-136713485213_thumb.jpg

Hi Carol..

A couple of corkers here :!: ...However I feel sure that I may be able to point you in possibly the right direction with the cruiser in the second pic B758. There used to be a class running out of Hipperson's Beccles with the same features as the one in your pic. The for'ard well and the pronounced framework around the cabin side windows I feel points to a definite, same as the class I know. Their names were "STEAL-A-WAY" "AWAY-A-WHYLE" "ONAWAY" "ROMA-WHYLE" and "HYAWAY". I have a 1958 copy of "Broadland Holidays" which shows only 2 of the above still in service with Hippersons - "STEAL-A-WAY" and "ONAWAY" so I think your Boat is one of the other 3.

Now as for Builder I think this poses a further query, in that when registrations were issued out, they were as you are aware allocated to the area that the craft were based...Now "B" would point us to the Bure and a Northern Yard and this is where I come unstuck as the design I'm afraid does not ring any bells at all...sorry.

Still investigating the other one...My first thoughts are either Press or Yaxley (Coltishall/Belaugh area) or Pegg/G.Smith (Wroxham)

All the Best....Terry

Hi Clive

Well you are right but she was origonally Bubble and was exibited at the 1957

Boat show, when she returned from London and was put back in the water she promptly sank, not that unusual but she had been parked infront of one of those huge wall mounted blower heaters which had completely dried her out.

Now this part is either a good story or fact, I do not have it first hand but, she received the name Bubble Gap because when the sign writer was asked to work his magic he was asked to paint Bubble "gap" Great Yarmouth so he painted Bubble Gap Great Yarmouth, and so she remains.

Clive when she lived in Horning she usedto live in one of the houses with a boathouse underneath around the Beardshaw's old place.

Hi Terry you were talking about Pegg & son Wroxham I presume rather than Pegg marine of Oulton. Pegg at Wroxham had Norvic or at least built her as when I hired her she was with NBYC in Wroxham. Pegg also had two other boats one of which was Ragamuffin the other I forget. I have somewhere seen a picture of these boats and I am sure that one of these two boats is the one in Carol's picture.

post-133-136713485501_thumb.jpg

Good story Barry, it is probably true.

I remember years ago the signwriter was asked to sign Tropical one. He did this but failed to remember nearly all of our boats were 'Gems' he was employed by us so it took a while to live it down!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

hi barry

Just re reading this thread and your comments about a Broom named Snowgoose. There is a Broom on the Thames named Snowgoose of Breydon, could this be the same boat ?

i see she has a for sale sign in the aft window, i wonder what shes going for ?

jill cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Barry...

"Parsons Pike" ....Now that name has stirred a few memories...

When I worked at Ricko's way back in the 60's if we ever had a tow job to cover it was always a Pike that was first choice if one was laying in...Pull a house down

Nice to see this thread is still alive...Did anyone ever hear from Steve (Sirdar) who started it??

All the Best

Terry :Stinky