cruiser

Guest sirdar

Hi Barry

Yes, such a pity as he was a very knowledgable member and a pleasure to have history of Banham's as he did at his fingertips. Very interesting for info from a yard that I knew nothing about...

Which leads me onto a question for you, being a long time Windboats and Landamores man...Do you by any chance have record at all of the number of boats built by these companies during the hirefleet heyday's ??

I am trying to trace the actual boats that were employed in the hirefleets, but finding it difficult... due in some cases to number changes within the fleets...in particular are the "Vesta's" and "Merrywind's"...Very confusing

Apologies if I've asked before but this is one of my ongoing interests/projects at the moment and would love to get to the bottom of it eventually and don't really know anyone else with the knowledge of these fleets more than you..

All the Best

Terry (Good to see the progress coming along well with your Star Premiere)

Thanks for that Jill...Was she ex hirefleet do you know?

And also.....

Do you by any chance know any information of these yards or anyone connected to them in the past that may have records or knowledge of their hirefleets. Particularily interested in the 50's - 70's period...

Best regards

Terry :Stinky

Hi Jill...

Many thanks for the link...I will e-mail them and see if any good comes out of it...go straight to the people who may know eh?

The boat that you posted a pic of at Lake Lothing I believe is a seacrete hull of the Tradewind class but not actually operated by Windboats in the 60's...Having had a quick look at Craigs wonderful Norfolk Broads Boats site he actually has one listed with that name and operated by a company called Lady cruisers...A new one on me...Have you heard of them??

She is definitely a seacrete hull which ties up with your photograph and according to his records with a reg no. of T944 making her build as 1964/65...

Will advise if I gain any info into this as any help is most appreciated...

Best regards

Good Morning Jill...

This has come together very well...Many thanks for your info...Thats a "Tradewind" sorted but who were Lady Cruisers and where did they operate from?

It's amazing what comes out of one enquiry, which then leads to another...I just love the history behind the Broads scene :clap

cheers for now

Hi Terry

Lady Cruisers were based at Stokesby and ran a hire fleet there until c1973 - the company then moved down to Oulton Broad/Lowestoft and concentrated on private builds and comission building for other hire yards until the 1980s.

Map showing their position at Stokesby here:

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/documents/maps_info/maps74_swalsh_acle_stok.pdf

Carol

hi terry

your interest in my pictures spured me on to do some more scanning.

i have so many pictures that need to be scanned.

i think ive found the boat with your user name, T766. pictured here about 1993 at a guess.

i have some more details some where and ill try and dig them out.

the picture of cetus was taken 02/03

jill

post-115-136713563142_thumb.jpg

post-115-136713563406_thumb.jpg

Jill...Oh Jill...

You have just made my day... :clap

I always wondered where she ended up...Had more holidays on her than I can remember...The Broadlanders 3 and 4 were the best of the 42 footers in the fleet...unfortunately I didn't always have a camera at the time (there was a credit crunch in our house even then)...and bringing up two youngsters came at a price so pics at that period are regretfully lacking...

The cruiser to the bow of her is also a Ricko's 42...Any ideas about her identity please ???

Jill...You are an angel cheers

Terry

Jill...Oh Jill... You have just made my day... :clap

The cruiser to the bow of her is also a Ricko's 42...Any ideas about her identity please ???

Terry

Jill .

Assuming that these are prints that you are scanning,

then you might be able to read her reg. no. from the print....

Once scanned the number of pixels stays the same even if you try to blow up the image.

Get the magnifying glass out and really make Terry happy!

hi martin

i have tried looking at the original picture and no joy as yet.

these were the 1st pictures taken with my 1st proper camera and i hadent got the hang of focusing.

there may be some taken later and i will keep an eye out as i sort through the mountain of my pictures.

jill

Crikey Jill...

This is like going to the sweet shop as a kid... :party:

Am beginning to think that this is where a lot of Ricko's boats came in retirement...In the last pic posted the cruiser to the left with a white hull is also from their stable and one of the very last wooden builds that were in build in 1965/66 when I was an apprentice there...A 36ft Broadway or Swiftway (10 built in total) and after those it was plastic all the way :cry

You certainly have a treasure trove of pics there...Super...Smashing...Great

Martin...can't find my magnifying glass...doh :!::!:

All the Best

Thanks Jill...

The last one I worked on was Swiftway 3 (R111) now in private ownership and I believe moored at Brundall...

She is now renamed "Queenie" and is a member of the VWBA and will know doubt be down at Beccles this coming weekend for the yearly National meet...

Quite a number of those survived and are in decent condition today...unfortunately Broadway 2 (R59) not so lucky...post-499-136713563766_thumb.jpg

Hi Jill...

Some nice shots there...just a shame that when boats have a change of name they then become very hard to trace back to their true identity without the vital Broads reg.no...

In cases where they were sold and transported to other waterways, if they returned to the Broads their original reg was in all probability given to another craft and a re-reg No. allocated...as was Clives Broadsventure...another sister ship of the ones in your pictures...making them even more difficult to track down...

Another one, I believe still resides at Wayford awaiting a buyer...I have tried my hardest to find a clue to her identity but as she was one that went down on the Thames and returned approx 2yrs ago that vital No. has vanished...and sadly she is not in the best of fettle...Here is a pic of herpost-499-136713564049_thumb.jpg

Wards "Seahawk" ...Blimey...Built in 1927 and still in Norwich in 1994...WOW

Do you know anything much about Wards Jill ??

Another high profile hirer in their day...up there with the best...

This is great Jill and thanks for posting

there was a Pacesetter in Norwich until a few years back, apparently she had a fair bit of work done on her at Griffin before getting caught up on a pile and sinking, I am not sure of her fate or if my story is 100% correct, I was told this by Ian who had Seahawk when she sank.

I also find it a little sad to see them again, out of nearly 40? 42 footers built we can only find 2 :cry

Great pictures though Jill :clap

Hi Terry,

I would not have a clue, The only way for me to find out is to ask one of two people who knew about her one of which snarles at me whenever we meet as he is not entirely normal (IMHO) but I always make an effort and in the unlikely event that I see him I will try and find out as I always make a bit of an effort . The other option would be the chap I mentioned called Ian who had a sailing boat on the hard at Griffin marine.

She was said to be in 'fairly good nick' but aren't they all !