cruiser

Guest sirdar

Clive you are of course quite right, I am really just being my usual pedantic self about wood and paint. I have seen it work on Oak but not I confess Mahogany but Oxallic acid is a great bleach if used carefully. I think I may have heard that it's not so good on Mahogany ? I shall have to enquire. cheers

• 5 months later...

Hi Jill

Yep that's her.

Bought her for £2k with the intention of doing her up only to realise I didn't have a clue on how to go about it. Sold her a couple of months later.

She handled lovely though.

• 5 months later...

hi all just found this thread while looking for info and pics of my boat i bought two years ago and am in the process of restoring her, I see that sirdar has posted two pictures or at least links to attachments which i cannot get to work or to show the images can anyone help,the boat is called song of joy, built i believe by herbert woods in 1936 ,she is 36ft L by 10.5ft w and has been on the great river ouse for several decades or so i am led to believe,any help would be most appreciated,namaste lee

I'd love to hear where she is now.

just read your thread regarding song of joy i bought her two years ago she is currently on the great river ouse and was in a bad state of repair,i am in the process of restoring her she has the first part of a new roof that is soon to be finished and she is coming out of the water in oct so i can re plank her and restore her to her former glory do you have any photos i could have,:) thx lee

hi lee

is this her ?

http://www.horning.org.uk/boatsearch.ph ... current=no

welcome to the forum

jill

hello jill , thanks for the welcome,yes that's her , i'm trying to find out as much about her history as possible and noticed everyone here seems to really know thier stuff so was hoping there would be someone here with more pics :) thx for the ones you have already posted it seem they are the only two as i have search the internet for days on end, song of joy is still on the ouse although in a very bad state of repair im just hoping i can save her, i will keep you fokes updated and post some new pics, namaste

Hi Lee, it would be good to see any pictures you have at teh moment of her, if possible.

ITs great to hear shes being restored.

i'll get some pics up in the next few days when i have some time off work,she doesnt look very pretty at the moment due to the work being done but im sure you will like to still see them,i will as i said to jill post updates as each stage progresses,but there is a lot of work to be done if she is to be saved or at least if it is to be done properly,many have said it will be a little like the old joke of the axe ,two new heads and four new handles lol and i agree , and if it were not for her age i would not have contemplated it, but she only cost me £700 as two thirds of her planks are rotten(due to someone putting fibreglass on her hull) as was the roof(now repaired)i have also been very lucky to meet a guy who has a book with a section about song of joy when new it not only has pictures of song of joy but also the complete plans and origanal blueprints for her when she was built in 1936 with all the details about design wood types etc requied to do the restoration i now feel an obligation to restore her i'll keep you posted,

namaste

wow you folks are great you've given me more info in 24 hours than i have been able to find in 24 mths many many thanks ,i'll do that thread goodall_m1 and springsong thx for that i'll get straight on to them and thats another picture ive not got so thank you ,while i'm writting i am also on the lookout for infomation on an old wooden narrowboat that was made as a pleasure craft as part of a speacial order as my friend is along side me restoring her she is called tramella built in 1968 she is pretty much the last one left or so we are led to believe would anyone have any ideas about where to start looking, namaste

• 4 months later...

Reference the boat emerald , I am the present owner and have been restoring the boat for 4 years. If anybody has any period photos of the boat or any further info it would be good as I only have the banhams brochures from the 50's as info.

regards

Edward Hinde

Cambridge

post-897-136713784004_thumb.jpg

post-897-136713784015_thumb.jpg

Mine is a 1950 Cambridge built 32 foot Sirdar Class. There where only 2 built , mine and one called Sapphire.

The boat in link in your post I believe has moved up to where I live and is moored at the Lazy Otter Pub at Stretham near Ely on the Old West River. If it is the same one ( I am sure it is ) it was on ebay about 3 years ago.

• 6 months later...

I used to be owner of Venus and was trawling through Google to see if I could find more news on what had happened to this beautiful boat when I found these mentions on the forum. We bought it on the Broads and brought it to the Great Ouse and then spent several years doing huge amounts of repair and maintenance work on it, including a full engine rebuilt, new timber canopy, new galley and much more. But it was really a losing battle; the hull leaked, the deck leaked and the dyna-start equipped engine neither started nor charged very well! Every Spring after uncovering it from winter revealed fresh varnish peeling too.

Ironically - reading one of the other posts - the last straw was when the boat was taken out of the water and the hull stripped back and repainted by a boatyard. A few months later the underwater planking had seriously deteriorated, presumably because so many protective paint layers had been removed.

Finally we sold it with full warnings and honest advice to an enthusiastic buyer who took it to the Thames.

We bought a steel narrowboat and a couple of years later saw poor Venus up on a yard hard standing as a £3k 'project'.

There may be a happy ending - I phoned the yard many months later and they said it had been sold for restoration and was being taken back to the Broads.

I'd like to think this beautiful boat has now been restored to its former glory.

• 10 months later...

Hello folks,well its been a while since I last posted as I have had to put the restoration of s.o.j. on hold as I have been busy restoring a classic riva speedboat and a broads cruiser called nymph with tom of fine wooden boats boat restoration at hartford marina in huntingdon,I am now going to start a thread in the restoration section,I hope you are all well.

namaste lee :wave