Once, someone's pride and joy!

Wussername

I like looking at the pictures of old woodies, I can even remember driving some of them. But what has happend to them all? Have they all been sunk somewhere? Is there somewhere on the broads a great big mound of ash? Or, have they ended up in someone's wood burner? Perhaps they are just "resting" on a bank somewhere, on chocks, waiting for some TLC!

However. The question is what will happen to all the present day plastic boats ( for the use of a better word) when they are no longer able to be maintained. No longer cost effective to keep them afloat.

How will we dispose of them.

They won't rot away, you can't burn them. Is there a solution?

Old Wussername

I should imagine they would recycle GRP into plastic chippings for packaging maybe? Watching that film that Carol put on about Southgates, also had me wondering what happened to all of those woodies? Anyone know?

cheers Iain.

I should imagine they would recycle GRP into plastic chippings for packaging maybe? Watching that film that Carol put on about Southgates, also had me wondering what happened to all of those woodies? Anyone know?

cheers Iain.

Might be a solution Iain to recycle a boat. But at what cost. In the first instance you have to capture the thing up, possibly from some inaccessible dyke somewhere where it has been abandoned. I think many people buy old boats with every intention of doing them up and then for whatever reason, financial, health, or lack of interest can no longer complete the task. Unfortunately leaving someone else to pick up the bill. I think that this problem could well increase for the next generation.

Old Wussername.

• Like 1

I know what happened to one of Marthams finest, back on the river after five years work by its original builders, and looking splendid.

Judith M

Yes i had the pleasure of meeting you and having a look at her last year.

Passed her the other day moored at the Waters edge at Bramerton looking well.

• Like 1