Early Morning Cruise - Tuesday, 19th May 2015

Hockham Admiral

We had attended the Spring Meet over the weekend and friends had taxied over to us on Monday morning for a trip up to Acle.

That went better than expected, despite copious amounts of rain and G&T's.................................

We stopped off at the New Inn and The Ferry in Horning in pouring rain and much later we were treated to a very tasty meal in The Bridge before our friends finally left about 10pm.

I had left a fender at Great Yarmouth Yacht Station (GYYS) the previous week en-route to the meet and wanted to pick it up; so I checked the tides and found Slack Water at GYYS to be 06.25 on the Tuesday morning. That meant an 04.30 departure (25 mins before Sunrise)  and not too long a time for sleep! Alarm set for 04.00 and down in the bunk!

Half an hour to wake up, get up, wash and shave, pot of tea and fill the flask with boiling water! Just like olden days in a ramshackle hotel somewhere around the World!

We slipped our moorings at 04.30 and I set 1400 rpm which gave me about 5.5mph-6mph. Then came dawn!

post-146-0-55086700-1433255271_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-31168500-1433254904_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-68036400-1433255435_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-90888600-1433255508_thumb.jpg

TBC

• Like 9

After sunrise we continued on towards the Embrujo Spanish restaurant (is it still open?) and saw our first Swan Patrol of the morning!

post-146-0-55176600-1433313049_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-24420800-1433313080_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-41639900-1433313104_thumb.jpg

I then made a mug of coffee from the flask to keep myself going and soon saw the sun rising above the river banks.  It was really an idyllic morning!

post-146-0-71963600-1433313321_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

After sunrise we continued on towards the Embrujo Spanish restaurant (is it still open?) 

How long have you been away John? Embrujo closed as did the hermitage restaurant.. although Embrujo has moved to the hermitage... :huh: Probably best for the embrujo as I suspect overheads are more manageable.. reminds me I must try and get in there one day soon..

Lovely pics John.. I've never been up that early but do mean to try one day.. Please keep the pics and tale coming!

cheers

Stunning pictures Admiral :clap .......We often wake early when on the Broads to watch the sunrise, we always watch the sunset and more often than not don't go to bed until very late, you just can't beat the broads at those times. Perhaps that's the reason we are always knackered when we get home lol

Grace

p.s Jaws, get your bottom out of bed early, you won't regret it 

• Like 3

Some of the very best cruises we've ever experienced have been those undertaken at 'daft-o-clock' in the morning. The 'Golden Hour' light enhancing the natural beauty, tranquil rivers with steam rising off the water, riverbanks alive with all manner of wildlife, raptors soaring looking for breakfast and the gentle, mesmeric and therapeutic lapping of water as we meander along at 2mph. At blissful moments like those, all the expense and occasional hassle of boat ownership simply fade into insignificance. :)

• Like 2

As the Ebb was diminishing we cruised on, a bit slower now, to make slack water at GYYS... I moor and tie up solo and doubted there would be too many peeps about at 06.30 of a morning to help!

A friendly couple were sharing a post

post-146-0-71695900-1433323082_thumb.jpg

And another contented pair were enjoying breakfast!

post-146-0-15941200-1433323120_thumb.jpg

We finally arrived just on 06.30 to a really lovely morning, although the wind was now getting up a bit from the SW.....

post-146-0-68929700-1433323249_thumb.jpg

It was now time to start the genny and brew a pot of tea, I'd also got some bacon left over for just this occasion!

I sat outside in the warm morning sunshine at about 07.00 with a cuppa and a bacon butty... Life's good!  :grin: :grin: :grin:

• Like 8

It was 08.15 before I was underway again and the friendly Ranger gave me a helping hand. The flood was now really in full song and I expected a rapid Breyden passage.... And then we passed under Breyden Bridge!

It really was quite exciting although this is one of my earl video-attempts on the Broads.  We realy did lift off one or two of the waves and slam down quite hard.. I didn't know an Alpha could do that.   :shocked :shocked

A bit later I saw Spirit of Breyden coming towards me and called them as I passed.. I suggested they take a close look at the conditions between Breyden Bridge and Green 35!

• Like 3