Northern Distributor Road

13 hours ago, TheQ said:

According to the TV last night tarmac. Is now being laid on at least one bit of the ndr

Well I wish they would lay it at Rackheath, on Saturday the wind was lifting the bare soil into a brown mist and covering the area. That on top of the constant rumble of earth moving equipment well into the evening.

I must admit In all the trips I go past the NDR, twice a day, every working day, until yesterday, I'd never seen anything actually doing any work on the NDR. Normally all the equipment is parked in a neat line, by the time I go past after work at 15:30.

Layers of Sand  and bulldozing work just seem to appear...

and I'd agree I've seen dust blowing across the Coltishall road.

• Like 1

Road closures can be a pain.  Diversion to get to Spixworth makes the trip miles longer from the inner ring road. Bright side is I found a terrific shortcut to Hoveton so much easier to get to our boat!

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

I must admit In all the trips I go past the NDR, twice a day, every working day, until yesterday, I'd never seen anything actually doing any work on the NDR. Normally all the equipment is parked in a neat line, by the time I go past after work at 15:30.

Layers of Sand  and bulldozing work just seem to appear...

and I'd agree I've seen dust blowing across the Coltishall road.

There is a guy in red hi-vis controling the lights just past the OAP home on the Coltishall to Norwich stretch. Went that way yesterday to the NNUH on the Coltishall to N. Walsham stretch there were three cars stuffed into banks, ditches and trees. Sun must cook their brains.

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:03 AM, Jonzo said:

It is quite dusty in places, but they are getting on with it.. The whole thing will be open in around a year, after all.

That's the plan Jonzo!  I'm still waiting to hear what my level of involvement will be in the NDR. With a bit of luck, it will be beneficial for us in the future! 

I'll use the NDR every day for work, taking me off of some of the back streets in the north of Norwich, but more usefully it will mean no more driving West to  go  via  Acle to drive east, a saving of about 9 miles each way.

24 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I'll use the NDR every day for work, taking me off of some of the back streets in the north of Norwich, but more usefully it will mean no more driving West to  go  via  Acle to drive east, a saving of about 9 miles each way.

Will that mean you won't require to go via Acle bridge to Stalham when this road is completed?

You will be able to turn to port off of the A47 at Postwick, then after a roundabout or two, Turn to Starboard and proceed past Rackheath to Wroxham and Beyond.  It will still pay to go Via Acle, if it's rush hour, due to the usual chaos through Wroxham and Hoveton.

It will be shorter to go by the new route.

NDR route

• Like 1

My understanding is as a distributor road linking mass urban development there will eventually be so many roundabouts on it into housing that the speed will be such that noise should not be a problem. Air pollution, maybe, but not noise.

I doubt there will be more roundabouts on the NDR than they are installing now, almost every major road will have one anyway. When they build new estates, they'll tap into the major roads and put the roundabouts on them to slow the traffic into the city.