A nice piece of wood

If you have never been on one of these I thoroughly recommend it.

It's a Turkish Gullet motor yacht and our skipper was very proud of this (his 4th boat that he built himself - although I am sure he had some help). Built of teak and mahogany it was very pleasant and we had fantastic weather.

I think the masts are a bit of a pointless addition (other making it look nice) but given the lack of sails did seem pointless.

You do have to get on with people, but the cabins were large and comfortable with en-suite showers/toilets - not that you spent much time in the cabin unless you like saunas!!

After a week of being bare foot on the boat (the odd flip flop when we went ashore) it has been hell wearing shoes this week!

One thing I did learn is a trick with the stern moorings - a bloody great anchor dropped about 300yds offshore with as much chain as you can and then reverse her back. Then send the dinghy ashore to tie the stern up to a tree or rock - I can see this causing problems on the Broads though!

post-30810-0-51517100-1436429673_thumb.j

• Like 2

MM this is the company we used.

http://www.anatoliansky.co.uk/traditional-gulet-pricebreaker-ppc/

Lots of others out there, but we had 16 on board (takes 18 max), no kids under 15 and 6 crew.

Found out 2 couples got a last minute deal that was half what we paid!!! We did still talk to them. So if your flexible there are deals to be had.

No fighting for sun loungers/chairs/sun or shade as there were loads of places to sit if you didn't want to be near the other guests - we may have been lucky as we all got on really well and had a really great time.

Plenty of food, but not traditional English - but we eat anything and came home rather larger than we went!!

Like the Broads shore power and generator use is limited - We had mains power a few times a day for charging phones/cameras etc and Air Con for a couple of hours each evening with the hot water - to be honest a cold shower was more refreshing. Apart from in Marmaris where gennies are banned and the shore power wasn't man enough for A/C - boy that was hot that evening.

There is some serious money out in Turkey after seeing some of the other yachts out there - anything under 50ft seemed to be a tender - one boat had a 16ft dory with 3x100HP outboards on the back as it's tender - now that would give the SoB a run for her money. And did I mention the helicopters? They would never go under Potter though. :naughty:

• Like 1