Holiday on Gulf Stream 1979 - cine film

AdnamsGirl

Another new cine film was uploaded to the Broadland Memories YouTube Channel yesterday. The latest offering is 15 minutes footage of  a family holiday on the Norfolk Broads in 1979. Two boats were hired together by the family - Gulf Steam 5 and Gulf Stream 6 from Southgates boatyard at Horning. The film starts with their departure from home - the car registration suggests that they may have come from the Warrington area. There is a brief stop at some very 60s looking motorway services en route! Once on the Broads, the family head to Yarmouth and cross Breydon Water visiting St Olaves, Oulton Broad, Beccles and Reedham Ferry before heading back to the northern rivers.

I think I have finally sussed the best format to upload videos to Youtube now, so will be re-uploading the recent York Rose 1968 film over the weekend as I wasn't happy with the reduction in quality on that one. 

Right ... back to cleaning up 1920s photos ......

Carol

• Like 4

At 5:20 there's a snippet of a Hampton, "Miss Memory" reg Y29, which was (much) later owned by my uncle, and after he sold her was re-fitted to become one of the very best Hamptons (IMO), "Sunchaser". What a coincidence.

Edited by Regulo
Thinks "******" is a rude word!
  • Like 1

Really enjoyable to watch this.

While a lot has changed, so much has not and one can still clearly see the places they visited.

What seems to have been the largest changes to me is the number of boats on the southern rivers compared to now, and the coaster moored just opposite the famous ‘yellow post’ something that would be impossible now because of the silting that has occurred since commercial traffic ceased using the quay here. One has to wonder if these changes have more of an effect on water flow and tides on upper reaches of the river and thus contribute to less clearances at various bridges.

• Like 1

So many woodies still about then. We were there on Glitter Girl and it was hot weather! I suppose from approx 1982ish the glut of Plastic Boats increased with Alpha churning quite a few out then. Porter & Haylett with all the Connoisseurs too. 

Thank you Carol, most enjoyable. BTW That service station looks like Charnock Richard in its early form.

cheersIain.

• Like 1