Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

this morning I have an appointment before work, so naturally I am making use of my time, testing those super pcb drill bits on stainless for the first time, and yes they do the job, so one fender mounting plate made, plus one cleat, this may be a little large for scale, but its 3mm bar and 4mm tube, maybe I need to get 1mm rod and 2mm tube, but it proves the concept.

IMG_7414.JPG

IMG_7415.JPG

IMG_7416.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/31/2017 at 01:11, FairTmiddlin said:

I Have some clear self adhesive aetate sheets A4  if you would like one you could double it up. Could drop it in to you

Many thanks to Nigel for popping in and dropping off a couple of sheets of adhesive acetate sheet, and for admiring the model, I can now see a clear way of achieving the glazing of the windows, it was great to meet you, and hopefully we will meet again on the broads.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, grendel said:

Many thanks to Nigel for popping in and dropping off a couple of sheets of adhesive acetate sheet, and for admiring the model, I can now see a clear way of achieving the glazing of the windows, it was great to meet you, and hopefully we will meet again on the broads.

Grendel 

The pleasure was all mine, to meet you and to see BA MK 2 & 3. As I said the photo's do not do the models justice. just the sheer amount of work and the ideas you have are boundless here's to see it in a finished state.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

on a side note, the last of my first batch of decent 0.8mm drill bits broke making the cleat, I have more ordered at the same time, that I am still awaiting arrival of, the stupid bit is I broke 2 while drilling holes, the others broke just putting the drill bit down.

• Sad 1

I do have 30 more on order,  and 40 standard 0.8mm drill bits. at this size when you are drilling stainless steel, if you manage to get more than a few holes done with one drill bit you are doing well, brass you may get double the holes, and wood about the same, these drill bits are just so fragile, the slightest pressure sideways and snap. also because of the tiny size they blunt quite quickly too. buying in bulk they only work out at a few pence each, about 10p for standard HSS and 20p for the carbide pcb ones (which are better as they are designed to drill the fibreglass pcb boards)

well tonight it was soldering brass and a lesson learned, I now have my 5 cleats, and my glasses suffered.

now when you leave a gas torch running, remember to check where it is pointing - even further away than you think - yes, my glasses were there - with the arm pointing skyward, when I looked up the plastic bit that goes behind your ear was merrily burning, a quick grab and blew the flames out, then quickly tried to reshape the molten lump into a semblance of its former shape. a quick filing down, and my glasses were a semblance of their former glory. just a bit more smoothing maybe

IMG_7428.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

• Sad 1

this morning I am waiting for the tyre shop to open, last night in the way home I was forced into a pothole by a van coming the other way on a narrow country road, I then had to drive 200 yards to get to a straight section of road to change the tyre safely, thus this morning waiting for the tyre shop.

so while I am waiting I have had a look at a couple of different ways of doing fairleads, I finally came up with a way of cutting them out of a piece of 3mm square brass bar.

IMG_7429.JPG

• Like 1

So I suddenly realised that I was going to have to take the top rubbing strip around those corners at the back, otherwise how would I mount the fairleads etc, so these pieces gluing in place, and once dry trimming will be done

IMG_7433.JPG

• Like 3

This morning 2 more fairleads have been constructed, and the stainless steel plate has been cut for the first corner, I managed to drill 1 hole to mount the fairlead, but I really need the pcb carbide drills, while I now have a plentiful supply (90) of 0.8mm hss drill bits, It takes at least 2 of those to get through the stainless, I guess I will have to wait until wednesday when the carbide ones are due to drill those holes.

still there are other jobs to get on with.

IMG_7434.JPG

• Like 1

So fender eyes are progressing, boot topping is being applied, I didnt want to use masking tape, so eyed it in to the top of the antifoul, hmm not so sure, maybe I will try the other side with the tape, once I know the best method, I will know how to do it properly for model#2.

IMG_7438.JPG

IMG_7437.JPG

• Like 2

so, the toe rails are almost done, there are a couple more to do, but they will need steaming I think, the boot topping on the second side was done using masking tape, but to be honest I am still not 100% happy with the result.

It will have to do for Beccles, but I may redo this at a later date. there are a few more parts I want to get fitted before Beccles, but I have to be realistic, and stop somewhere before I run out of time. After Beccles this model will take a back seat as I progress model #2, I have just got carried away at the moment getting some detail onto model #1.

IMG_7445.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well that took some doing, on a couple of pieces of card I have cheesed some of my blue cord, ready to be used for decorative purposes, just 2 more to do for the front next. the card will be trimmed back once the glue has dried.

IMG_7446.JPG

• Like 2

in the meantime, the stern rail needed making, plus the short sections of toe rail at the stern, the stern rail is being made out of some laminated oak (it will be done from the teak Charlie provided on model #2), it was still just a fraction thin so a thin ply lamination has been added to bring it up to height.

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7448.JPG

• Like 3

Tonight - working on the two ends, the stern board and the decorative wood section at the bow, gluing still in progress, but heres a sneak preview just weights at the front, there is nothing else to clamp to, the cardboard backing for the cheesed ropes has been trimmed back.

IMG_7450.JPG

IMG_7449.JPG

• Like 2