Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

This evening thanks to one of our furry fiends, I have been picking up and measuring my box of drill bits, in sizes ranging from 0.4mm through 3.2mm in roughly 0.1mm steps with  half a dozen of each this has taken a while, and I am still not convinced I have got them all in the right spaces, the digital vernier seems to make 2 the same size, then I find there are none the next size and I have 2 different lengths.

• Like 1

Who am I to correct someone with your talent but do you mind if I be pedantic, you can have a digital caliper or a vernier caliper, you can't have a digital vernier, but I know you know that. :10_wink:

Edited to add... sanding to 3000 grit, impressive. For those who don't know it's like trying to rub something down with a crisp packet.

• Like 1

I use one daily its a vernier to me whether i pick up the digital one or the stone age one that I got way back in the 60's as an apprentice... With the old mince pies these days the digital display makes reading it much easier. Must get a digital micrometer to save the old mince pies a bit as well.

Charlie

• Like 1

well it worked (sort of) but the holes are so close to the edges that I am going to have to have a second go at this (both the mast and bracket) and find some smaller bolts, or I will never get it to fold down properly. I think I will also extend 2 tabs out from the channel to allow  it to fix down, without the heads of the bolts fouling the bottom of the mast. some lateral thinking required here I think.

IMG_7268.JPG

IMG_7269.JPG

IMG_7270.JPG

• Like 2

Those nuts / bolts on the underwater fittings, could they not be pop riveted also?

What about these?  they could be cut down to size, these are M3, A model shop / outlet might have something smaller

Griff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-Thin-Bolt-Through-Fixings-Use-With-Door-Handle-Rose-Escutcheons-30-35-mm-/142365065387?hash=item21259e80ab:g:tLwAAOSwrhBZAxbo

I see now that the bracket at the bottom is quite deep, and the pivot and retaining pin are set diagonally apart, this gives me a better idea of how I can proceed from this point.

Charlie the bolts on the keel are 3mm stainless steel allen head, with brass nuts (nearest I can get to being rust proof), once I am happy they will be cut down to length and smoothed off. where they pass through the keel they are in brass tubes.

As for the bolts I am using on the mast, currently they are about 2.5mm x 12 long, I can happily reduce it to 1 bolt and a pin for the retainer, these bolts in scale would be about 1 1/4" diameter, but if I go much smaller we will lose strength, though your last link does have some interesting stainless steel 1.6mm diameter screws, but with the screws at 17.5p each and another 9p per nut, I think for now I will go with what I already have. - i do have some tiny bolts in my bits box

• Like 1

when it comes to rivets, I have those a plenty, not those pop rivets either, but proper steel rivets, I do also have a selection in brass as well, at the end of the day if I am happy with the fit of the skegs I may decide to rivet them. 

I have found some smaller stainless steel bolts and nuts, at about 18p each for 1 nut 1 bolt, a better price and in better quantities, strangely 2mm ones (the next size up ) are half the price (got some of those on order too). my bits boxes yielded plenty of small bolts - but no nuts, since I have now found a source, and as I spent a while digging in my bits box, I have decided to rebuild the mast support tomorrow now, when I can take my time and go slowly with these tiny parts.

IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7272.JPG

• Like 2

this mornings trip to Lidl was fruitful, they had some assortments of nuts and washers, so some were purchased, here is where I am at with the mast support, the brass bar will be fixed to the underside of the roof, there will be 2 slots in the roof, and two more in a timber mount above the deck. and then the mast will bolt through on a pivot, with a pin through to allow it to be dropped.

IMG_7274.JPG

IMG_7275.JPG

IMG_7276.JPG

• Like 3

I am a lot happier with how this version has worked out, all it needs now is a couple of vertical holes through the brass and wood plate for the mounting screws, then I just have to wait until the smaller stainless steel screws and nuts I have ordered arrive. I have 2 the right size, but no nuts.

IMG_7277.JPG

IMG_7278.JPG

• Like 2