Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

you may have noticed its been a bit quiet on the model making front for a few days. I was really pleased with the models performance over the meet weekend, but was so worn out that I have had a few evenings off. 

Tonight however that changed, I got down to work, planed and shaped a plank, then steamed it and clamped it into position.

after the mad rush at the end of last week I need to take time out to tidy up my work bench.

IMG_4816.JPG

• Like 2

we can keep it as an option if we don't sort it out this weekend, I am hoping to get the second model to a point where I can bring both to the wooden boat show, plus get some more detail work done on the first model.

yesterday i set about and  shaped a plank on the other side, today so far I have prepared the next half dozen planks, by running them across the sander to clean off the colouring from their use as blinds. gluing of that plank will happen shortly.

• Like 2

Today I have been busy in the garden, tidying clearing weeds etc, so the model has taken a bit of a back seat this weekend, but today I have taken the clamps off, planed the joints, and sanded down the join between the planks.

IMG_4820.JPG

• Like 3

it is good, I use the foaming stuff for some bits and their pva for others. the foaming stuff is good but needs good clamping as in foam form it is weak, so does not fill gaps well. the pva is more waterproof than some, you can get cheaper, but the gorilla glue is easier to find, I have found so far that I am using about 1 bottle of the pva and one of the foaming stuff per model- just to get the basic hull together.

• Like 1

It being a gorgeous day outside, model #1 has been getting its looks attended to, after removing all of the running gear, and some masking up, some paint has been applied. firstly yellow filler primer, 2 coats of that, then the first coat of white gloss. the rubbing strakes will be applied later, once the paint has had a good chance to dry out.

IMG_4824.JPG

IMG_4825.JPG

IMG_4826.JPG

IMG_4827.JPG

IMG_4828.JPG

IMG_4829.JPG

• Like 5

after all that work the hull of model #1 needs to sit for a few days for the paint to dry, there is 1 run that needs to be flatted back and oversprayed once it is properly dry. meanwhile the front cabin roof gets its detailing started, the join covers across the roof have been added, these strips cover the joints in the sheets that form the roof on the real thing.

the skeg has been primed from its brass. and reattached loosely until I can get inside to reconnect the rudder and prop shaft.

IMG_4832.JPG

IMG_4833.JPG

• Like 3

it was one of the jobs I wanted to get done before the wooden boat show, I am not expecting to get all the detail work done, but the rear cabin roof is also on the list, I have just been looking at hinges for the windscreen and tops of the cabin sides. added to that I want to finish the planking on #2, 4 or 5 planks each side left to do.

• Like 1