Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

So tonight was gluing another plank into position, the fenders have been turned around, and the other ends have now been dipped. the anchor winch was a bit stiff at first, but after a bit of fettling is now running quite sweetly, next to see if it will lift the equivalent weight of a scale mudweight.

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

• Like 3

Have to say I am mightily impressed with what those 3D printers can do, it seems you are capable of making literally just about anything. Wish I had one when I put a powered winch on my r.c. tug, talk about a heath Robinson job but in this hobby, like the real thing necessity is the mother of all invention. 

cheers

Trev

Basically, if you can draw the part you want in 3D you can print it, I am fortunate in that I am a CAD draughtsman, so have quite an edge on most people doing 3D printing, who have to learn how to use CAD, that bit I find quite easy, I also bought a ready built 3D printer, this takes the guesswork out of the printing part of the job.

• Like 2

well tonight the steamed and shaped plank has been glued in place, as well as that I have been playing with a new toy, a 3D doodle pen, I got one that takes the same size filament as the printer, this means that the odd ends left over in the cartridges from my printer can be used up in the pen (there is always some left once the counter gets to 0 )

• Like 2

after taking an evening off yesterday, today has been very busy, with taxi service of dad, and running around after my dad after his laptop died (10 years old), this evening I have done a little planing to smooth the planks out, It was while doing this I realised I still have the prop shaft to drill out and install. that will need to be done while I can still see the target, ie before the planks get too far, looks like tomorrows work is set now.

• Like 2

lazy day today, all my lazyness for the whole bank holiday crammed into 1 afternoon. anyway, I shaped steamed and clamped the next plank, then dipped the remaining fenders remaining blue ends, oh plus the obligatory single blue fender for each model. (sorry Robin)

IMG_4713.JPG

IMG_4714.JPG

• Like 5

well today I have shaped a plank ready, not steamed as I ran out of time, the blue fenders are done and added to the fender pile, I have also printed out the distinctive light fittings, and ordered some Led's to light them up.

IMG_4722.JPG

IMG_4723.JPG

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4725.JPG

IMG_4726.JPG

• Like 4

the only thing I did today was test the LED's with a 12V supply, a bit brighter, but not too much so.

the rest of the day I have been suffering with a headache and my balance has been off, I suspect a bunged up ear.

we will see how it goes tomorrow.

Oh come on! Really? the detail and lengths you are going to on the fittings is just beautiful, but also well outside what I imagined.  I thought you would peer through the wheelhouse sides into a rough interpretation of the interior much like on a match box car - now we've got lights that work and look like the real things - well done

• Like 1

Robin, are you not going to want to cruise with the canopy down? this means that the cockpit at least has to be detailed. its attention to the small details that make the whole thing realistic, Lighting was one of the things I agreed with Charlie, so the least i can do is get the light fittings right.

• Like 1

Oh I agree - you are doing a sterling job - I just did not expect it to be this good and detailed and love following the progress.

Last time I did a model with lights I had the idea of using a Bic pen to put the tiny tungsten filament lights into and use the pen to defuse the light more evenly.

• Like 1