Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

well late home as the dartford crossing was stuffed tonight, so no time to do any model work, car failed its MOT today needing a new ball joint, parts ordered and on delivery for tomorrow, hopefully will replace them at lunch time and get the car retested tomorrow. just hope I wont be too tired to get a little done tomorrow.

Car Parts arrived at 10am, 12pm I went out in the car park at work, fitting the new control arm (bottom wishbone), 1pm I was back at the test centre (about 200 yards from the office on the estate where I work) 1.15pm I was back in the office with the pass paperwork in my hand. all he needed to do was have a quick look, seeing a new part was enough to show the problem had been rectified. The car is now sorted for a year, and I can get back to concentrating on the models.

• Like 5

so back in the flow, unfortunately around the bow we are at the narrow bit, so very little space to clamp the planks, I glued up a plank, trimmed the next to shape, but no point steaming it as there isnt space to clamp at the bow, so we have got as far as we can on that part. I am looking at the cabin sides with thoughts of adding the window boxes before they are fitted, as it will be easier to clamp them in place off the model, then the windows themselves can be slotted in at a later time, I now need to go look at some pictures to check their construction.

IMG_4680.JPG

• Like 2

well not a lot done this evening, just steamed and clamped the plank I didnt get done last night, but a little bit done nonetheless. I spent the rest of the evening on the laser printer, having replaced a toner and getting some horrible clunks until I got it set in the right place, I then found the print was only happening down one side, so removing all the toners and drum, I spotted that the toner carrier was on the cock, one side was several teeth displaced from the other, a quick attack with the tools, and the two ends were once again aligned, quick test print proved everything was once again all right with the world (and the printer) so when I need to print the dek king, it will be ready.

• Like 2

so after taking Charlies advice and taking a  break last night - well ok I was busy doing something else for a change, today hasnt been that productive, but the next plank was steamed and clamped into shape ready to be glued.

• Like 1

last nights shaped plank is now glued in place. through today I have been working out what work needs doing on both models, its longer than the Broad Ambition snagging list, but steady progress will get me through some of them, now off to print more fenders while I still have plenty of the natural colour filament left.

IMG_4693.JPG

• Like 2

Well after printing them out in batches of 8 (2 1/2 hours a batch) I didnt wake up especially, but when I woke in the night one batch had finished, so I set another batch going. I think I will need to set a final batch on the go tonight as I am at least 2 fenders short at the moment (and I will need a couple of spares for that 'blue one') - Actually thinking about it, wasnt the blue one a ball fender?- I will go check the photo on the thread in a minute.

so clean up required to smooth these out, then a paint job, and some lines to attach them with (not too sure how I will get on trying to splice the lines to them in this size)

P_20170406_075801.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grendel said:

Well after printing them out in batches of 8 (2 1/2 hours a batch) I didnt wake up especially, but when I woke in the night one batch had finished, so I set another batch going. I think I will need to set a final batch on the go tonight as I am at least 2 fenders short at the moment (and I will need a couple of spares for that 'blue one') - Actually thinking about it, wasnt the blue one a ball fender?- I will go check the photo on the thread in a minute.

so clean up required to smooth these out, then a paint job, and some lines to attach them with (not too sure how I will get on trying to splice the lines to them in this size)

P_20170406_075801.jpg

Hi Grendel,

You could use some of the waxed whipping chord, you can get it in two shades of blue and there is a white option, no doubt that it will be a pain to splice what ever you use and you would have to make a suitable sized fid.

Regards

Alan

This evening the next plank is steamed, shaped and clamped in shape, aside from that, I have been cleaning up the ridges left in the fenders from printing, chucking up in the lathe, filing then sanding, this leaves them smooth ready for paint.

IMG_4694.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

• Like 1

its longer than the Broad Ambition snagging list,

Oh you think?  Actually you are probably correct, however you have a two huge advantages over us,

1)   Your 'B.A's are on site at home with you not 162 miles away :grin:

2)   Your 'B.A's are costing you a fraction of the full size version of late :shock:

Griff

• Like 2

Peter,   I just had a thought there (It does happen now and again).  The value of these ere models when completed, and I'm just talking material value now, that is to say the systems onboard, propulsion, sound, lights, batteries, remote control receiver / servos and the like is going to be considerable.  What if they spring a leak or get partially swamped by a passing full size craft breaking the speed limit (Hire craft - most probably a Bath Tub of course  :roll:  :norty: ) what about some sort of onboard bilge pump?  Does such a thing exist?  Is it not really worth considering / messing about with?

Griff

Re splicing, anglers use a thing called a baiting needle, ideal for splicing fine strands on models, you won't need a fid. Will the splices be tapered? I suppose you could use an ordinary darning needle but baiting needles normally have bigger eyes and are made of finer wire.

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Peter,   I just had a thought there (It does happen now and again).  The value of these ere models when completed, and I'm just talking material value now, that is to say the systems onboard, propulsion, sound, lights, batteries, remote control receiver / servos and the like is going to be considerable.  What if they spring a leak or get partially swamped by a passing full size craft breaking the speed limit (Hire craft - most probably a Bath Tub of course  :roll:  :norty: ) what about some sort of onboard bilge pump?  Does such a thing exist?  Is it not really worth considering / messing about with?

Griff

What about a couple of those key floatation things that are activated by contact with water ?

• Like 1

Well thinking on it, most of the components that will be at risk will be either waterproofed, or be located well above the possible water level (the radio receiver needs to be fairly high up to get a good signal, motors and batteries should be fine in (generally) fresh water, but I will have a thought about a bilge pump. with the hull sealed properly the only way water should get in would be normal seepage on the prop shaft (very tiny amount), or a wave over the deck, we already know from the real thing that she is quite a capable craft in moderate seas, maybe I can design a small centrifugal pump to act as a bilge pump, actually that might be a fun idea to design.

Last night saw a further 8 fenders added to the fittings produced, so now I need to smooth those out and prep them for painting.

• Like 3