Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Today was a bit of a departure from the usual routine, I wont say too much as the reveal will be later in the week, but the skeg has been bolted in place - the bolts pass through the keel in 4mm o/d brass tubes, and the prop shaft supports have been installed, Apart from that it was the normal rib fixed, and more steamed, and another set of deck supports.

IMG_4448.JPG

IMG_4449.JPG

IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4455.JPG

IMG_4456.JPG

IMG_4457.JPG

• Like 4

todays work so far has been a bit of the same again, ribs fixed, new ribs and roof beams shaped, and deck side beams fitted, tomorrow night I may not get much done as I will be packing and loading the car  in preparation for joining Charlie and Robin with Broad Ambition, I will be heading up straight after work on Tuesday.

• Like 4

I wasnt wrong, I have been rushing round this evening like a blue bottomed fly, packing bits and checking things off the list, so no work done on the models this evening. there is a big empty space in the kitchen where model #1 has moved to the back seat of the car. It will be shown off at work lunchtime, then at 5pm I will be headed North East (no point in going home from work, it is the right side of the Dartford tunnel and an hour closer than home.

• Like 6

after a few days working on the real thing, we have had a quick test float, even an engine check, and are happy with the performance. I havent managed to get anything done to the model yet, but, I do now have the graphics from Griffs graphics supplier for the name badges that Griff got done at the same time as he got the replacements for the boat after the paint job

IMG_4476.JPG

• Like 3

todays work, a rib glued in place, another rib steamed and a roof beam, plus a couple of deck supports added, it was pointed out tp me that BA  only has about half as many as I have been putting in, so model #2 will have less, but it seems silly to change half way through on this one. I also took the opportunity of lidls offering tool storage wall racks, to purchase one and tidy up some of the tools, I just need to design and construct some more hooks for the rest of my tools

IMG_4477.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

IMG_4479.JPG

IMG_4480.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks for that Robin, an important occasion recorded for posterity, today I had an appointment so a day off work, this all done I have done some extra work on the models, still steaming ribs and roof beams, still fixing ribs, and some more side deck supports added.

As the video shows we have a water tight hull, we have propulsion. some test showed that the power consumption is about 1/4 amp this combined with the 10 AH battery means our little boat will be able to cruise all day (at least) on one battery charge. At present we are running a pair of 6v 10Ah batteries in series, these are sealed lead acid, and I have chosen these to not only provide the propulsion power, but all importantly they provide a degree of ballast. more ballast will be needed on top of this to bring the model to the right waterline, how much I wont know until the rest of the model is complete

IMG_4484.JPG

IMG_4485.JPG

IMG_4486.JPG

• Like 5

And a double helping today, a second rib fixed, another steamed and side deck supports, as well as that I have made some additional tool holders for the tool board on the wall, simply by fixing some round head screws into the back of a strip of wood, it can become another tool holder, as the screws slot into the backboard. my gravers now have a home as do my small pliers

IMG_4487.JPG

IMG_4488.JPG

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4491.JPG

• Like 3

20 hours ago, grendel said:

Tonight, we have rib fixing, rib and roof beam steaming, and side deck fitting.

Blimey, Gren, that rings like a tech college nightmare day! "Today, gentlemen, we have Measurement, Instrumentation and Control, followed by Advanced Switching, then Applied Maths". Makes me shudder, especially as I never used any of it in real life!!!

• Like 1

I admit its a bit boring at the moment, as all the jobs are pretty much the same every night, but the good news is that I nearly have enough roof beams, but some more steaming some more fixing tonight, the stash of roof beams at some point will be sandwiched together and all sanded to the same profile.

IMG_4495.JPG

IMG_4496.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

• Like 2

Friday, so a short work period again, what can I say, I have just enough roof beams now, but will make a couple spare, ribs - I am starting to get to the point where I am changing formers every few ribs, soon I will be at that awkward front end where every rib is different. as for the deck supports, still a few of those to go.

IMG_4500.JPG

IMG_4501.JPG

IMG_4502.JPG

IMG_4503.JPG

• Like 3

due to being busy on another project most of the day, only a short visit to the model today. As I mentioned the other day, I am getting to the stage of every rib different, the last template only made a few ribs, I have now changed formers and am on the last regular former, maybe 2 of this size, then I will be on the individual ones. deck supports put in, and the last rib from former 2 fixed.

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

• Like 2

another rib fixed, one more steamed, last one for the former as its then different at every rib, last roof beam turned out of the former, 2 more side deck supports added. plus as a bonus, at the bow we need to be able to clamp the planks, so a board is added behind the overlapping stringers, first one of those in place, once that has set there will be room to clamp the one for the other side.

IMG_4516.JPG

IMG_4517.JPG

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

• Like 3

so on to tonights work, well rib fixed in place, side deck supports fixed, and oh no I hear you cry, there is no steamed rib in the former - no , no steaming done tonight, tomorrow will be setting up the front section to steam the ribs in that section, false planks will be fitted as a template to bend the ribs around.

IMG_4520.JPG

IMG_4521.JPG

IMG_4522.JPG

• Like 3

tonight after adding a couple of side deck supports, it was just adding faux planks and marking out for the front set of ribs to be steamed using these to get the shape. Also trying out a waterproof video camera on the camera setting for photos, though the flash seems a little bright.

IMG_4523.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

PICT0023.JPG

PICT0024.JPG

PICT0025.JPG

PICT0026.JPG

PICT0027.JPG

• Like 3