Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

As promised a few more of the noggins ready to support the deck, to be honest the model doesnt really need these to support the deck, but I figure I might as well do the thing properly, plus they will give the hull a bit more rigidity. at the front of the hull there will be full width deck supports, these will need to curve, so will need steaming, I will soon need to figure where the front of the cabin needs to be.

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

• Like 3

One final bit of work for today, another former cut, this for the front deck beams (it may also suit the roof beams), and the first deck beam steamed up and in the former. now when I steam a rib, I can throw a section of 5mm square in and heat up 2 pieces with one steaming, though the thicker wood could do with 5 minutes more steam than the ribs, this can be finished off after the rib has been fitted in the former though.

IMG_4255.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grendel said:

Of course if I had known I would probably have volunteered like a shot.

Thats how all  wooden boat owners start, then, about half way through the 'project' they wish they had run a mile in the other direction!

:D:D

• Like 1

So this evening another rib was put in, another rib steamed and formed, a second deck beam shaped, and in the rear cockpit, a pair of supports added for the sides of the stern lockers, plus another pair of deck noggins inserted, sounds a lot, but that was just 25 minutes work. 2 more supports will be needed in the stern cockpit, to support the floor, this will need to be removable to get to the steering gear. It will also need to be decorated to simulate the holly teak flooring.

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

• Like 3

I now know just how much room I have in the stern for the steering gear, to be honest I want the tube for the rudder to end as high as I can to make sure its above the water line, even though it will be greased, we dont want leaks, and we dont have the facility for a proper stuffing box and grease nipple.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, grendel said:

I shall of course have to watch out for Griffs puns on the forthcoming AMP, as when it comes to jokes and pranks he is a bit of a live wire, shocking I know, but it is the case.

Only wish he'd come up with something new occasionally:51_scream:

Reckon that he got most of his stuff from the Wilfred Pickles joke book for boys!

• Like 3

Right then, back to the business in hand, this evening another rib glued in , some more deck supports and new rib and deck beam steamed, now if you look at the pictures you will see I forgot to get a picture of the new deck beams, plus when I took the picture of the bending of the new parts you will see I have changed formers to the next one forward, and that I nearly forgot the deck beam, only spotting it and getting it into the former when I went to empty the condensation from the steaming box. the neutral pin of the plug has now also been converted to a tiller arm, just needing the actuating holes drilling (its just visible next to the deck beam former.

IMG_4264.JPG

IMG_4265.JPG

• Like 2

tonight was a bit of a late start due to the snow and time spent driving home, firstly when I took the rib out of the bending jig I spotted a crack, so this one was rejected, no rib fixed tonight, some more deck supports fitted and a new rib and deck beam steamed up.

IMG_4266.JPG

IMG_4272.JPG

IMG_4273.JPG

• Like 2