Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Does BA have that many 'decking cleats' to support the decks? Royal Tudor has about eight decking cleats either side, these attach to the rail on the edge of the hull, there is no inner rail, and they support both the decks and the cabin.

Grendel as per the norm has it spot on.  'B.A' does seem to have a lot of deck supports, she also has an inner rail or stringer too.  It all adds up to her strength.  During the restoration any deck supports that were suffering / tired were replaced with some sort of hardwood, whatever offcuts we could use.  The inner rail or stringer was also replaced as and where required, however a lot of the original is still in place

Griff

This morning was an early start for a day off work, giving my mother in law a lift to her hospital checkup, 5 years now since her cancer op, and still no sign of a recurrence. we were a bit late arriving for her 9.15 appt, as despite leaving at 7am (for what should have been just over an hours drive) the m25 was stuffed in several places, and we arrived nearly an hour late.

Still that gives me some time this afternoon to work on the models.

• Like 1

Entertaining the mother in law, invited her to cottage pie for tea, so while she went to the shops with my daughter I got a bit of work done, the standard gluing a rib, shaping more ribs and roof beams, more deck supports, it all keeps progress going forward

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

• Like 3

On 1/22/2017 at 8:58 AM, BroadAmbition said:

Aha, now I geddit.  I am obviously following this thread v closely.  You are now at the stage of fitting out the Well-Deck and Well-Deck area but keep referring to it as 'The Cockpit' As a result I have been studying your photo's of the cockpit or Wheelhouse (Same thing on 'B.A') following your written word but of course you have not started on that area as of yet but are concentrating on the Well-deck   :facepalm:  Now am synchronised I can follow progress better :dunce:  Note to self Griffin - Pay Attention'      Love the photo of the workforce in the Well Deck BTW

Griff

I totally missed seeing this post as I managed to post one at exactly the same time (I only spotted it when resizing the photos in the word document I regularly save the thread to as a record of the build (currently on page 959), I will try and refer to it in future as the well deck, my memory had a blank spot when it came to remembering what this part of Broad Ambition was called, so I kept referring to this area as the aft cockpit - my bad. I have great plans for the wheelhouse area, the sliding sides being one of them, I might even try for the opening windows in the sides too (or is that a bridge too far?).

Hopefully by the time I have helped out at the AMP I will have learned the proper names for more parts of the boat (heads and Galleys I already know)

(or is that a bridge too far?).

Probably maybe but that is just my opinion and it is your call as to how far you want to go with them

What would be a bridge too far is remotely sailing them astern through a scale model of PHB  However on a mirror flat day, photo'd from a dinghy with the camera virtually on the surface of the water and the model(s) at the right distance from the camera / bridge, well then we could create the illusion that the models only just fit under it, Robin could do a moving film of the event, then add it to one of his famous Captains Blogs.  We'll have to knock up some ideas between forumites nearer the time

Griff

Happy to build a scale of 'that' bridge if Grendel lets me know the scale he is working in.

And after manoeuvre's have been completed we could charge those that 'bought the wrong boat' a £1 a shot towards forum funds to blow it up! :naughty:

:D

• Like 2

Like it! £1 a shot to blow it up, lets scale that up and have £12 a shot to blow the real thing up! :naughty:

However that would give Grendel a veritable nightmare of making all the models gear fold down just as on the full size 'B.A' to be able to fit under your PHB model.  Even if he did manage that, how would you re-produce a low water situation for the models to fit under it?

Grendel will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I seem to remember 1 - 12th scale being mentioned.  'B.A' being 40ft foot long therefore will produce the models at 40" long or 3ft 4" or in today's money just a shade under 1 metre, therefore I reckon your bridge model would be around 1:5  -  2m in length :shocked

Griff

• Like 1

JA - Joking aside if you did construct a scale model of PHB, may I suggest you donate it to the Museum of the Broads on completion after we have done the photo thing?, I could then lend them our model of 'B.A' to display it with the bridge.  In fact that has given me an idea.  Maybe the Museum could permanently house / display our model and I'll just take it from them as and when we want to take it onboard with us.  Save me having to come up with some safe box to keep it in onboard or in our locker

Griff

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

However that would give Grendel a veritable nightmare of making all the models gear fold down just as on the full size 'B.A' to be able to fit under your PHB model.  Even if he did manage that, how would you re-produce a low water situation for the models to fit under it?

Griff

With the boat building skills around here I suspect our model bridge will produce that 'low' water look briefly before plummeting to the bottom! 

• Like 1

Charlie, I had already planned to have all the gear able to fold down as the real thing, you could always build the bridge as a 'floating model' then it could be ballasted to give a higher or lower clearance to suit- you could even get historic clearances that way. now I just need to find a scale piano hinge.

Well that wasnt easy, but dolls house suppliers do a 304mm long 9mm wide (open) piano hinge, which I think is about as good as I will get, this will probably fit on a 3mm - 4mm thick window frame.

• Like 2