Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Today was more ribs shaped, the two pairs done yesterday have been put to one side ready to fit. nearly there with the side decks too, maybe 3 pairs left to fit.

my next job will be to create some 3d models for parts in CAD, my annual bonus has bought me a 3d printer, which I can use to make parts, I can even scan small parts in and scale them down. just got to wait for it to be delivered now so I can start playing.

IMG_4528.JPG

IMG_4529.JPG

IMG_4530.JPG

• Like 3

tonight I steamed the last of the ribs that require steaming for the front shape, the last 3 up to the bow will go in without steam, or certainly they dont require formers. the deck supports are in, and a cardboard template is being made for the side and front deck, this will be transferred to plywood with about 5 or 6mm removed as this gap will be the top rail, which will be laminated up around the curve, using the deck itself as the former before its fitted, obviously there will be a join somewhere, though in theory I can stagger the joins in the laminations. once laminated this will need shaping as per BA's top Rail, ie chamfered on the bottom edge. I was originally going to laminate 2 sections at 1/4" square, but now I am thinking 4 thinner sections, which will steam around the bow a lot easier. 

Its good to be starting a new task, as it stops the build getting 'stale' and boring. after the deck will be the cabin sides, on model #2 we will be finishing the ribs, and after making sure they are all flat to each other, the planking will start.

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4545.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4547.JPG

IMG_4548.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, BroadAmbition said:

Ah I see in the photo above you have got the welcome mats out on the port and stbd waists already!

Griff

Ah yes, actually that's just holding the various cardboard templates together. As fordetail, I have some blind cords on blue, that are going to be just the thing for the various ropes, though I think the cheesed ropes may get permanently cheesed to keep them cheesed.

• Like 2

so 3 more ribs on one side, and more work on the decks, the templates trimmed and foredeck cut out. I will need to move model #2 to be able to lay the decks out and steam up the top rails (I just know Griff is going to come in and give me the correct term for these in a minute) - now do I use one wider section and form the cant rail as I go?

IMG_4551.JPG

IMG_4552.JPG

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4554.JPG

• Like 2

not as much done as I wish as I need to finish the ribs on model #2 before I can shape up the toe rails for model #1, as it is I have made a start and steamed the bow section with the first layer, after 15 minutes steaming the wood still started cracking out on the really tight curve, thats ok on this first one, but I will find a way of stopping this for the rest.

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4556.JPG

• Like 3

Nothing to report this evening - I am busy setting up a new toy, I have got myself a 3d printer, you will be happy to know that I have already created some 3d models to be printed on it, a light fitting, plus the grill on the side of Broad Ambition, as soon as I have a successful test print I will be trying out some of these parts, but this evening has been spent setting up and getting it working

this morning to make up for the lack of progress last night, the last rib in place on one side, and a third layer on the bow toe rail. the 3d printer is half way through a 7 hour print, this has nearly gone wrong once and a quick intervention with extra glue to restick a section of supports to the printer bed was necessary (the plastic is fixed to a heated glass plate with an application of a pritt stick glue stops the plastic moving).

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

• Like 1

here it is, its a big thing, picture of inside while working, and picture of the screen showing the video preview (i sat a webcam in the door to monitor what was happening from downstairs) I set this up upstairs on the windows 10 laptop, but can now monitor from the comfort of my chair via a vnc link between computers

IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

• Like 1

well I got to that point, I could see a need for at least 3 different projects, so I splurged this years annual bonus and got myself one.

I wanted to see how this one came out, but eventually aborted the print due to the errors, I have found a website and now fixed the model, there were gaps in this that the software had added spacers. this would be cleaned up to remove the lines from the layering etc. you can see the internal structure where I stopped mid slice, and also the gaps where info was missing.IMG_4570.thumb.JPG.d6098927ceb8e4703ce1de8221ea9f2d.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

IMG_4572.JPG

IMG_4573.JPG

• Like 1

So the fourth layer of the bow toe rail is added, heres a close up, these will be glued into shape, and the joins with the side toe rail will be staggered. once I get this dried out and out of the way I can move the model (#2) round and put the forward ribs in, as positioned at the moment this is rather difficult to accurately position them.

IMG_4576.JPG

IMG_4574.JPG

• Like 2

well tonight was a bit different, firstly I managed to complete a 3d print that really worked, I now have a much more realistic crew member.

The bow section of toe rail was glued earlier, it has now been planed off, the bottom edge shaped to taper to half the thickness, and the ends stepped so that the side sections can be joined in. this shows it in position with the deck piece, this will need to be curved to the deck beams and fixed in place.

now that the toe rail is out of the way, I have been able to turn model #2 ready for the ribs to be fitted in that front section.

IMG_4588.JPG

IMG_4589.JPG

IMG_4590.JPG

IMG_4591.JPG

IMG_4592.JPG

IMG_4593.JPG

IMG_4594.JPG

IMG_4595.JPG

• Like 4