Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re splicing, anglers use a thing called a baiting needle, ideal for splicing fine strands on models, you won't need a fid. Will the splices be tapered? I suppose you could use an ordinary darning needle but baiting needles normally have bigger eyes and are made of finer wire.

How about someone who has the vice and skills for fly tying, very similar sizes and construction methods which may be employed in splicing.......

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

How about someone who has the vice and skills for fly tying, very similar sizes and construction methods which may be employed in splicing.......

Suspect that a fly tyers vice would not be needed, just masking tape holding a fend-off to a suitable something. However the dexterity of a fly-tyer would be useful. Any handy fly-tyers on the forum? In my opinion the suggestion of using waxed whipping thread is a sound one.

• Like 2

Talking of realistic - a working centrifugal bilge pump is a step toooooo far imho.  As you quite rightly point out the full size version with that flared bow does fine in a swell so no reason for the mini-me's to fare any different.  Besides I can't see me using the model in any sort of chop or overly busy river come to that

Griff

I suppose the obvious question is would it actually sink even if it did flood.  I suspect the amount of wood versus the motors and gears means it should float,  although I survey houses not boats :grin:

Perhaps some shaped polystyrene inserts for when the models are afloat. 

• Like 1

tonight we have glued the last plank shaped, and work continues on smoothing the fenders. they are then painted with acetone to slightly melt the plastic and smooth and bond the layers together - ready for painting.

• Like 1

well last night I had a search for a centrifugal pump as a bilge pump, I was looking for a 3d print file to save me some time, and I found a couple, one was quite small, designed for a motor from a pc cd drive, and the other was tiny. as I hadnt got a spare cd potor handy, I first tried with the smaller one, this is only about 19mm in diameter (3/4").

So now to test it and see how much water it can pump. this run from a 3.7v camera battery.

all that is needed now is a water activated switch and some tubing :-) 

• Like 1

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned floating key fobs. It occurred to me last night that if mini BAs life ring were to be securely attached to the model on a long line, and the ring itself would easily detach from the model, should the unthinkable ever happen for whatever reason, the ring would float to the surface with the model at the other end of the line.

As I say, just a thought.  

• Like 2

Well this afternoon I am multitasking, earlier I was doing some design work, and just now I have steamed and shaped another plank.

The design work was to re-design the anchor winch I made a while back, now I have a 3D printer I can do bespoke designs and create my own solutions in a smaller footprint than the one I previously made. I have a small but powerful motor scavanged out of a computer CD drive, its the one that opens and shuts the drawer, round this and with the help of a pack of gears I already had, I designed an anchor winch, this is currently printing, so we will see if I got the gear spacings right.

IMG_4702.JPG

anchor winch drum.JPG

anchor winch housing.JPG

IMG_4701.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grendel said:

, so we will see if I got the gear spacings right.

well no I didnt, the spacings were imperial, not metric, so I was 0.4mm too tight between the worm and the takeoff, so a redesign and reprint, also the vertical supports need beefing up a bit.

I have now redesigned the housing, the supports are beefed up wider and thicker, plus I am printing it in a different orientation so the weakness of the laminates isnt across the arms, but now running along them, hopefully this will give me the part I want. just another couple of hours to wait for a new one to print, the good thing is that this is only just over £1 to produce, the new part is more solid too, but still less than £1.50.

Anchor Winch.jpg

• Like 1