Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

tonight I have been playing with lights, seeing what voltages work, and how they look mounted on a bulkhead, plus steaming and clamping the plank I shaved down to size yesterday. this is what the lights look like running on 6volts

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

• Like 4

tonight we have a new plank shaped steamed and clamped, I have found that I can now hold planks on with the deep clamps I bought to do the transom. before I fitted it in place I did notice a slight bow inwards on the previous plank, so I spent a little time trimming that back to a straight edge.

IMG_4746.JPG

• Like 2

So a little more work on model #1, the cockpit floor is being constructed, supports across the width at the bulkheads, then some longitudinal supports fitted, once they have dried, the pieces bridging the doors will be cut out, to allow the steps down to the lower level to be constructed.

on other thoughts, having seen the picture Charlie posted over on the Broad Ambition thread, showing the dashboard, while I dont think I can illuminate the dashboard, I have thought of away of switching the lights from the dash switch panels, basically you can get 6 way DIP switches that normally mount on a printed circuit, these look very similar to the switch panels on Broad Ambition

42256199.jpg

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4752.JPG

• Like 3

the sash window support pillars have been constructed, one plank has been glued in pace.

Earlier today I picked up a bandsaw from the boot fair, it needed a little work, a bracket to hold the motor capacitor and a new cover fixing screw, these were immediately designed and printed, it was missing the blade, and I correctly guessed that this was why it had been abandoned, the motor tests out well.IMG_4754.thumb.JPG.0e142cb5130af8eee7e579d71de6eadc.JPGIMG_4755.thumb.JPG.c68c63bddeb2be9bb1b25cf17fce90f1.JPG

IMG_4757.JPG

IMG_4756.JPG

• Like 2

well the sash pillars have been cut just a shade long, I have cut some pieces to the correct length and wedged them into the pillars to make sure they are equally spaced all the way down, next to glue them in place.

IMG_4759.JPG

IMG_4760.JPG

• Like 2

This evening just a little bit of fine work, this is the metal mounting for a light fitting, the wooden backing will then be shaped, I just felt that the chrome mount should be represented, this one will need some more careful filing before its ready

IMG_4764.JPG

IMG_4765.JPG

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

• Like 3

The stainless steel plate has now been temporarily attached to a light fitting with double sided tape ready for detail filing to take place, because the fittings are thermal plastic, power tools cannot be used as these would get too hot, though once one is completed a stack of repeats can be done using a diamond disc in my dremel drill.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2017 at 3:30 PM, grendel said:

Just dont expect me to fit the light switches in to the helm position :-) 

well as it happens, fitting light switches is actually easier than I originally thought, once I started thinking how I would represent the console switches on the dashboard, it came to me that the small DIP switches seen on many motherboards would be a good representation of the dashboard console switches, with the actual switch levers a scale size. so a quick (and cheap) ebay purchase later and the switches arrived, up earlyish this morning and I satdown with my coffee to think about the dashboard. I made this one out of a lime wood (linden or boxwood) venetian blind slat. the technique for cutting the holes out to take the switches is similar to that used in full size, holes were drilled in the corners (1mm) to stop the wood splitting out, I have a box of drill bits ranging from 0.4mm to 3.2mm in 0.1mm steps. a small finger drill was used, then a scalpel was used to cut the lines, and the holes were filed out to size with a diamond grit file.

I may redo this part using 1/16" or 1/32" plywood, as these slats are quite thick, the switches are barely coming flush at the front.

the good part is that the switches can be wired up for the cabin and other lights :-) 

the pictures here show as a background my reference book of photographs, which are very useful when working on the details.

IMG_4781.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

IMG_4776.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4780.JPG

• Like 8