Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Oh I see, I have misinformed you there. It's not the toe rail you are working on but the top rubbing strip. The bend round the bow was awkward for us too. We had to steam / laminate thinner planks to get round the pointy bit then revert back to three planks for the top rubber. The bottom two rubbers we made up of two laminated planks, you should manage it out of one. 

The 'Toe' rail is the one (oak) that sits on top of the deck with drain gaps where the s/steel fender eyes are fastened

Griff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Polly said:

Is that red and slightly elegant 'crew member' supposed to be a prototype GRIFF? :party:

well it is, I have the Macie dog accessory already, and as Griff has pointed out somewhere previously he is not allowed to use his 12 bore on the water,

This one is a bit rough and ready as it was printed on the Coarse setting, so shows a lot of layering from the printing process. :-) 

I will readily admit to being somewhat rough of late. Had a tooth ache / gum infection for the past three days now. Popping brufen, paracetamol, antibiotics daily. Not back in UK till Thursday night, however all else to the good. Clay shooting tomorrow , got to show these ere Germans how it's done

Griff

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grendel said:

bit of a wasted evening - recalibrating the printer prior to trying to print a fender took ages, so I never got round to anything else.

Will we see a can opener and a sharp knife on the galley work top, for when Robin is on board?

The problem is, we will all be trawling through all of Robin's blogs, we expect to see laptops, cameras hanging by the water line, filming as it goes along. 

Rhond anchors, what about a mud weight, will it have a working anchor winch?

Great work, I hope this model can do a UK tour, so that we can all get to see it, but to be fair, best in a Norfolk environment.  I bet a few landlords wouldn't mind displaying that in a case for a week or so. 

But it would have to be insured for £ thousands. 

Griff, Grendel has made your boat a true icon of the Broads, like a Norfolk Wherry, (or an Eddie Stobart Spotter), maybe we should have some "I have seen Broad Ambition" stickers made.

Richard

• Like 2

Display case in various river side pubs - There's an idea.  I had thought of keeping it in the MOB or round at J.W's for safe keeping when not taking it with us out and about.  I'll have to look into some sort of display case.  I'll just need some hull supports for when it is onboard, it can stay on a soft bunk when inside, then on its hull supports on the coach house roofs other times

Griff

you may have noticed the lack of update last night - well yes I had a night off (shock horror I hear you cry). apart from spending most of yesterday afternoon and evening chatting to an elderly aircraft engineer whom I met through a meccano forum, when I got home I decided on an earlyish night.

fast forward to today, and everything was moved and a grade 1 cleanup was performed at my workbench, this will set me up ready to start the planking. but still before that we have to check the shape and fair down any high ribs, and pack up any low ones.

model #2 will sit toward the rear of the workbench while she is being planked, this should allow the front of the workbench to be kept cleat for model #1 parts to be worked on, there are times when a 12 foot run of workbench would be useful.

IMG_4614.JPG

IMG_4615.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4617.JPG

• Like 3