Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

yes last night was good, birthday tea was a chinese takeaway, anyway onwards and upwards, tonight I have done the usual work, a rib glued - nearly halfway now almost time to turn the model around. new ribs and roof beams steamed and some more side deck supports glued in place, nearly halfway along this model with these too.

as an aside I am going to post the same pictures twice - this is to test out an olympus camera I picked up for £5 at the boot fair last weekend the flash doesnt work, but the interesting feature is that it came with its waterproof diving case, which makes me interested in the picture quality, as if its half decent it will let me do some different shots of the models, and maybe real boats too, I still have to test the case for leaks, but it allows me a different viewpoint if it all works

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

P1260019.JPG

P1260020.JPG

P1260021.JPG

P1260022.JPG

• Like 3

Well an early addition to the build thread today, this was because what I needed to do had to be done at work, today was time for the well deck flooring, the well deck was carefully measured and the shape transferred into CAD, here I could lay out the decking as I wished, this was then set to an appropriate background colour and printed on the laser printer.

Its still to be glued in place but here is the first attempt at the well deck flooring (the hatch detail will be added later).

P1270023.JPG

• Like 5

I also wanted to test the finishing epoxy I have bought, this should seal the planks and make the hull watertight, I tested just a couple of drops mixed up on the bow, I have done the bow block, and a few inches down one side, from the look of it it is going to give a really good finish.

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

• Like 3

I did consider that, but to be honest the hull is plenty rigid enough as it is, the fibreglass cloth I was looking at is only 17g /m2, and the difference between that and just plain epoxy is minimal, I literally only mixed up 2x 2p sized puddles and brushed it on with an old brush, and it did the bow block and about 6" down one side, for most of the hull this is just a base sealing coat.

• Like 1

Now doesn't that well deck, deck look sweet? Much the same for the bow apron too

Just to give you a heads up, on completion of our forthcoming AMP, The whole of 'BA'.s decks will have the same covering as the well deck.  (The solar panel will have changed too)

Have you been bathing the lot in 5 star cuprinol or will you do so? this should be done before any primers / finishes are applied

Griff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

BTW - 'My' graphics chap emailed today.  The graphics are ready, I will collect them next week

Griff

That's good news.

Re- the cuprinol, I havent used that so far, as unlike Broad Ambition I dont expect the hull to take up any water, and the models wont spend the majority of their time sitting in the water. once the outside is sealed the inside might get a coating to protect it, but I am aware that I dont want to add too much top weight, even though some ballast may be needed it will be kept as low down as possible for stability.

• Like 2

Today was first a trip to the tool shop to get some long reach clamps, as I need to reach deep into the transom to attach the pretty facing timbers, this morning I mixed a little of the epoxy finishing resin and gave one side of the boat a sealing coat, once I had spent a fortune at the tool shop (dont worry Charlie I'm not charging you for these tools :-) ) picked up some white paint and another wood blind I found.

Boat #2 has turned end for end as we are now half way. no deck support as I cant  get to them to fit them

IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

• Like 2

today, the epoxy on the first side was set, so another decorative board was added to the transom, before epoxying the second side, then it was down to work, fixing another rib, and steaming the next rib and roof support. this morning was the boot fair as normal (it only shuts down for a month in the winter, as its on one of the local park and ride car parks - this morning I found a dovetailing jig) then it was a trip over to Ashford to see my parents and take my dad shopping. (I go over about once a month to let him get the heavy shopping in my car).

So the ribs are steamed, and as a I had a little of the epoxy left, I coated the floor of the well deck with epoxy to protect the printed flooring.

IMG_4420.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4423.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

• Like 3

yes,those little battery sets of christmas lights should do the job brilliantly. the power supply for the lighting will be independent of the propulsion battery, I have some usb solar power banks that will be used for the solar panels, the connected batteries will power the lighting.

• Like 1

I have been thinking and I know Charlie wants his model to represent Broad Ambition as she will be after this current AMP, with the new decking and upgraded solar panels, so I think for my model I will go with the look as she is currently, this will give the two models their own individuality.

• Like 2

tonight was a bad trip home, an hours delay on the m2, for no apparent reason one lane of two was coned off, nothing happening apart from a 5 mile tailback and an hour delay.

thus this evening we have just managed to get another plank on the transom of model 1. no ribs or anything else, but a little bit has been done.

• Like 2

A better trip home this evening, so work is heading along apace, tonight I got the full round in, the last transom plank - glad I got those deep clamps now - a rib glued in place and the next rib and roof beam steamed up, side decking supports in place and photos taken.

IMG_4425.JPG

IMG_4426.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4428.JPG

• Like 5

I concentrated on just one section this evening, being very careful - but even so nearly ruined it - fortunately this will be covered with the boot topping, trimming sanding and epoxy finishing. as I had some spare epoxy I gave the well deck another coat too. so here are the pictures.

IMG_4429.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4431.JPG

IMG_4432.JPG

• Like 4