Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

This afternoons work, after de-stapling some of the reclaimed timber from my daughters old bed, I added a couple of more transom planks to model #1, then steamed up a new rib for model #2, gluing the last one into position in the process.

IMG_4191.JPG

IMG_4192.JPG

IMG_4193.JPG

• Like 3

I have been looking to see if I can get a couple of days break in February while Broad Ambition is out of the water on annual maintenance, so I can get up and see some of the underside, If I do I will certainly bring this hull up (not sure if the second one will be complete enough by then) and may try to scrounge a lick of the aluminium paint for the model.& give a hand with the annual maintenance, remember this was the trial run, a deal more care will be going into the next hull, as I put into practice all I have learned with doing this one.

Grendel, you are of course welcome to attend (As is anyone for that matter)  but please don't feel that you 'Have' to.  Just let me know the dates you want to attend so I can make sure I have accommodation available for you.  We have accommodation for up to five guys at any one time on another craft in the wet-shed so will be driving to / from Horning daily

Griff

• Like 1

Looks too young for Griff and it has too much hair.

Too young - Agreed.  However my thatch is still full and plenty, which I would like to boast as being impressive, it isn't of course, it's down to inheriting genes in that department from my late Dads side of the family

Griff

• Like 1

I added a couple of more transom planks to model #1, then steamed up a new rib for model #2, gluing the last one into position in the process.

So I see you are now working in tandem or even stereo, progressing on two models at once, which is of course proper showing off, quite right too.  Amazing attention to detail as per the norm then

Griff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timbo said:

And doing it all from the back of a bicycle made for two an' all!

Funny you should mention that Tim, many years ago now I used to fly model airplanes, and to get them to the flying field I had a tandem, this had a wooden box on the back, where the planes travelled in place of the back seat. some of my gliders had 12 foot wingspans so the box had slots for the wings to extend back over the back wheel.

So after dropping the daughter to work this morning (7am start - trains sunday service first train 7.40am) and being treated to a mcdonalds breakfast, this morning I have added 2 more transom planks to #1, and another rib steamed and bent and another fitted to model #2

IMG_4197.JPG

IMG_4198.JPG

IMG_4199.JPG

• Like 3

I wasnt happy with the rib that just came out of the bending jig, it had cracked right on the bend, so I decided not to use it, and set up to steam 2 at once (this gives me one rib a fraction larger that will go in nearer the next (bigger) bulkhead, as well as getting me back on track. another pair of transom planks fitted to model #1. once I have the transom done I will start fitting the side deck supports on model #1

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4207.JPG

IMG_4208.JPG

• Like 3

Gluing the next rib was a little trickier, as there is a bulkhead in the way near the keel, so yesterdays shaped rib was carefully thinned to suit and fixed in place. the next rib has been shaped, and work is started on the deck noggins, first the wider section at the stern needs to be formed, I am still deciding at the moment whether to make the stern lockers openable? this would mean cutting the long stringer that runs through this section. maybe the stern lockers dont need to be openable. I will consider this.

Thinking about it, I might need to do some work in this area before installing the deck, as I need to make a block to fit over the ribs to drill the rudder tube through, actually I need to clean off excess glue first, then some careful measuring.

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

IMG_4228.JPG

IMG_4229.JPG

IMG_4230.JPG

• Like 2

Ok, I have cut slots into a 10mm x 25mm block to go over the ribs in the stern, this is a block of linden (the bottom rail from a wooden blind) this is glued in place and clamped tight with expanding gorrilla glue, which will fill all the gaps, a block was required to transfer the clamp pressure to the rudder block. this isnt going to leave a great clearance between the block and the transom floor for the rudder actuating arm, I am thinking the servo will be hidden in the Galley area out of sight behind the interior features (under the sink). I have some miniature servos that I think will be powerful enough for steering, modern technology has really made these small, these are about 32mm long, 30mm high and 12mm deep  (1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 1/2"). If I make a stern locker these might even fit inside there.

IMG_4231.JPG

IMG_4232.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG

IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

IMG_4235.JPG

• Like 4

Attention to detail and problem solving is second to none :bow  We could have done with you during the restoration 2002 - 2007 - Where were you?

Openable Lockers - your decision but I don't think they have to be unless you decide they should be

I really have to pay attention to your posts / photo's going back and reading / looking at least twice, otherwise I might miss sommat and get pulled up for it later on.  'Pay attention as I'll be asking questions later' :gracie:

Model #1 is looking really really good btw  cheersbar

Griff

• Like 2

another picture that I didnt post last night, the glue has set and the 4mm hole for the rudder has been drilled, the rudder tube needs to be shortened and the shaft shortened and rethreaded for the actuating arm - ah, but does it? I tried extending the 3mm thread on the rudder, but broke the cheap die that I was using. maybe I can file a flat and attach an arm using a grub screw - I have an idea - just need to find an old plug and take some measurements.

IMG_4238.JPG

• Like 1

Ok, old plug found and disassembled, yes my memory was correct the hole to connect the cable is 3mm, after a bit of shaping, and addition of some holes, I have a rudder activation arm, once I know the orientation of the actuator arm, I will file a flat onto the shaft, for the screw to bear onto, this will stop the arm coming loose and loss of steering control.

and I haven't even started any woodwork yet today

IMG_4240.JPG

IMG_4241.JPG

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4243.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4245.JPG

IMG_4246.JPG

IMG_4247.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4249.JPG

• Like 4

18 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Attention to detail and problem solving is second to none :bow  We could have done with you during the restoration 2002 - 2007 - Where were you?

Griff

I was a few hundred miles too far away, not having experienced the Norfolk Broads yet, and hadnt ever heard of Broad Ambition. Of course if I had known I would probably have volunteered like a shot.

• Like 1