Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Can I recommend the old fashioned cabinet scraper Grendel? I've bought a number of these in different shapes and sizes. A quick touch up of the edge on the wet stone and I can smooth a surface up to an equivalent of 300 grit sandpaper. The added benefit is that the various shapes get me into weird shaped areas and recesses without compromising the overall shape/thickness/integrity of an area I'm working on. Also very handy for removing excess glue!

Talking of glue, I've been trying out the TiteBond III stuff as well as Titebond II against Gorilla Glue. The conclusion was I bought a huge vat of TiteBond II. Even on complicated 1/8 th and 1/4 inch finger joints and dovetails I found that after applying the TiteBond II, clamping then 'washing' the squeeze out away with a sponge and plenty of water the joints, even butt and end grain joints were much stronger with TiteBond II. It appears to soak into the wood and the wood gives before the glued joint. Washing the squeeze out away also means less clean up in fiddly areas.

Probably a bit granma and eggs and all that! :naughty:

I'm really enjoying the videos BTW! Christmas Special? 

• Like 1

Tim,

does that mean I will have to put on a silly paper hat and jumper and do a video on Christmas day?

all the scrapers I have are flat (even the small scraper plane - 3" long) and the curves are a bit too convex or concave (or both at the same time for scrapers really, I have also learned the lesson that really all the planks should be exactly the same thickness as a couple were fractionally different so the rest need to be sanded down to that level. I am doing it by hand slowly as I could do it by machine - but what if I slip? I was right I did use a bit much filler so its slowly coming back to plank level, but with the gaps filled in.

I will have a look at tightbond later.

• Like 2

tonights update - after some computer delays I carried on sanding, I have removed about 90% of the filler I put on last night, still a couple of spots on this side that might do with a skim of filler, then onto the other side, I will wait to apply the filler until I can do it in the conservatory - it dont harf pong a bit as its curing.and while sanding I had to dig out the hoover and a facemask as the dust is really fine.

IMG_4142.JPG

• Like 4

slowly lofting the bulkheads, starting with one at the front and one at the back - this will give me the mounting height for all the rest of the bulkheads, progress today is slow as I am struggling with this cold, but I have filled the other side of the hull, that is sitting in the conservatory until it is set and the smell dies down a bit.

IMG_4144.JPG

• Like 3

today, a little progress, but not spectacular, as I went over to my parents with my daughter, so half a day there, dropped daughter off at work then didnt get home until gone 5pm. but I did dry fit the stringers, and adjusted one of the bulkheads as it was slightly proud, I have found why there was a low spot on the hull, former 2 is slightly undersize. I am hoping that the stringers will fit this without notching the bulkhead, which will save recutting the bulkhead. As previously mentioned more care will be taken to get things perfect on this model (though the gap at the bulkhead will not be seen once complete, which is why I wont replace it).

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4150.JPG

• Like 2

still working on the slots, the cold has gone but left me with a hacking cough, I only have to think about moving and the cough goes into overdrive. just hoping it clears before Christmas now.

One side  is done now. 2 more days of work, then I am off until 3rd January, I am hoping that will allow plenty of time to show some progress.

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4158.JPG

• Like 5