Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

tonight the first of the toe rails was glued up and pinned in place to dry, the other one will be done tomorrow, as for model #2,  that will need measuring to work out the number of planks and shaping that they will need to be shaped to, for each side, I will try and sort the numbers out over the weekend, then planking will start.

IMG_4627.JPG

• Like 3

so today has been a bit strange, I had booked the afternoon off for a dentist appointment, this morning as I left for work I found I had a slow puncture, pumped up and got to work - hmm still going down slowly. so later in the morning, I get a call from the dentist cancelling, ah well the afternoon is booked off anyway , so I head home and drop into the local tyre centre. firstly the nail is through the edge of the tread - new tyre needed. next I asked them to check the rest of the tyres as mot time is coming up at the end of the month, both front tyres only 3mm at the edge and middle 1mm on one and 2mm on the other on the inner edge, ok 3 tyres needed. ho hum.

Anyway, on the model front, the first side toe rail is glued, so that comes out of the former gets planed and shaped, and the other side toe rail is in and gluing up, and its still barely my normal time for arriving home.

• Like 2

so today has been a bit strange, I had booked the afternoon off for a dentist appointment, this morning as I left for work I found I had a slow puncture, pumped up and got to work - hmm still going down slowly. so later in the morning, I get a call from the dentist cancelling, ah well the afternoon is booked off anyway , so I head home and drop into the local tyre centre. firstly the nail is through the edge of the tread - new tyre needed. next I asked them to check the rest of the tyres as mot time is coming up at the end of the month, both front tyres only 3mm at the edge and middle 1mm on one and 2mm on the other on the inner edge, ok 3 tyres needed. ho hum.

Well what a coincidence - I came back from Germany last week with a raging tooth ache, visited the dentist on Tuesday and again today.  Saturday just gone I put four new tyres on the 'GriffTile' van :shocked

Model progression - that's the top rubbing strip you are working on.  The 'Toe' rail is the upright timber that sits on top of the deck out on the edge where the fender eyes are situated

Griff

one day I will learn all the proper names for all these bits - and get them right - I dont know here I am building a model with all these parts, yet dont know what they are properly called.

strangely my dentist visit was to have a crown fitted, one broke off and he could not refit it, and had to redrill the tooth and fit a post. but coincidentally over the weekend I did have a tooth ache in a different tooth, but that has been sorted now with some antibiotics.

Of late I have had a gob like a bag of spanners, AF and Metric mixed up all over the shop  Three broken / cracked / leaking fillings - One or all three of these was giving me severe grief, all three of them now fixed.  I'm still not convinced all is ok re the toothache but will know over the next 12 x Hrs or so.  Then there is a missing molar and another one cracked to be sorted.  I'm on first name terms with my dentist and his staff.  Fortunately I quite 'Like' being tended to in the dentist chair, at least I get 1/2 an hour off!

Boat part names - Well you're not on yer todd there, I'm still learning mysen

Griff

today I have taken the measurements along the hull, worked out how many planks will be needed, and then divided each measurement by the number of planks, so that I now have a table of measurements for each plank to be rimmed to along its length. now I have this, I have shaped and steamed the first plank for model #2. some trimming and sanding of the top rubbing strake is ongoing.

IMG_4656.JPG

• Like 2

you may have noticed a lack of update last night, that is down to my trusty volvo failing me, an engine misfire on the way home, so last night and this morning has been spent cleaning spark plugs and trying to diagnose the fault, I need new plugs as they are a bit dodgy, but I think I have a coil pack failed, as disconnecting the coils one bby one makes the engine run rough, all but one cylinder, which doesnt change. just waiting now for the parts shop to open to go get new plugs and a coil.

new plugs not available until tomorrow, but the new coil has arrived and is fitted, the car is now running on all 5 cylinders again.

on the model front, while I was waiting I designed a new planking clamp to print on my 3d printer, plus fitted a plank and steamed a plank on model #2

At this rate its going to be a month of posts saying I have glued a plank and steamed a plank, because tonight that is exactly what I have done.

on the 3d printing front I have designed a little clamp that can be used to hold planks in place, it needs deeper grooves to lock the clamp, but otherwise works very well, the sleeve part holds the two grooved parts locked together to stop it slipping.

IMG_4662.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

• Like 3

well we are up to 2 clamps now, I have fixed one plank, but due to holding the front end in place, cannot steam and fit a second, so some shaping has been done, and 2 long planks have been glued together. another will be needed at least.

I will keep you in the dark for now as to its final location, as I hope that will become apparent as it gets shaped.

IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4672.JPG

• Like 2

well after all that hard work, gluing two pieces together I found some blind slats that had a longer distance between slots, they were also wider - so just 2 will be needed, so the first pair are now gluing, a little time lost, but a learning step.

IMG_4674.JPG

• Like 2

so in the words of the immortal Rolf Harris (and avoiding his fall from grace), can you see what it is yet?

shaping has been done to cut it in to the shape it has to fit, and all the cutouts have been cut out, the parts were matched together and clamped together, then the cutouts done through both parts so they match perfectly, the final picture shows them stood in place.

IMG_4675.JPG

IMG_4676.JPG

IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

• Like 7

So now the cabin sides are out of the way, that missed plank has been steamed up, and clamped in place to dry, the rest of the weeks planks have been sanded (the only problem with wooden blinds is the finish that has to be removed), so I sand them on the belt sander, clamped to the bench, one quick pass each side does the trick.

IMG_4679.JPG

• Like 2