Baked Garlic Mushrooms on Toast

CooWee

Here is a recipe for you, I have actually cooked it and management liked it!  We have not cooked it on the boat though, although I cannot see it being a problem.  It is taken from the magazine 'Easy Cook', a BBC publication.

Serves 1 (easily multiplied) yes, I have cooked it for two.

4 large portobello mushrooms

2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing (I used Yors extra virgin rapeseed oil, garlic and rosemary flavour.)

2 finely chopped cloves of garlic

2 slices of toast

1 tbsp roughly chopped parsley

a few toasted pine nuts (I am not sure these add anything to it)

1 Roast the mushrooms

Put the mushrooms on a lightly oiled baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and scatter over the garlic, then season. Bake for 15 minutes at fan 180C/conventional 200C/gas 6, until the mushrooms are tender. (I cooked them for 20 minutes and they were still juicy)

2 Top the toast

Toast the bread then top with the flavoured mushrooms. To serve, sprinkle with the roughly chopped parsley and a few toasted pine nuts.  Serve immediately.?(No, think I'll wait for a couple of days!)

A variation for a creamy version, warm 50g garlic & herb soft cheese in a pan and pour over the mushrooms before serving.

Another variation is to cook your favourite cheese on the toast and lace it with a bit of Roquefort.

Keith cheers

• Like 2

My favourite is what I call Hawaiian Mushrooms, It's just four big flat Mushrooms grilled, top with a nice chunk of Ham, a pineapple slice and then some nice mature Cheese, put it back under the grill till the chess melts, then eat the lot,  I do another version I call the BTM, using Bacon, sliced Tomato and topped off with cheese, both nice and easy on the boat and you can do them in the oven or on the grill,,,,

Another easy one is my Corned Beef Slops! but you need an oven really, slice up one or two tins of Corned beef and put it in a small casserole dish, add a can of easy onions, top with two cans of potatoes sliced up, then top off with two tins of chopped tomato's, you can even add a can of beans for extra taste or a tin of peas, then just put it in the oven for 30 minutes, if you don't like corned beef you can use a tin of stewing steak, I don't like corned beef but I eat this when we are out and low on rations as it's easy and you can't really taste the corned beef that much unless you use two tins,,

Frank,,,

• Like 2

Fair point John, what actually happened was that I got a pack of five and so we had two and half each and they weren't large slices of bread, from a cob if I remember correctly. I am going to try it again, probably on the boat in July and I think I will add some Black Bomber cheese.

Oh, and while I am here, I sent off for a burgee a couple of hours ago, it'll have to go on the stern though.

Keith cheers

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One of my most favorite things is plain and simple sliced Mushrooms on toast with a splash of Worcestershire sauce, I usually buy a selection of Mushrooms and mix them , I have been know to cook up a big plate of Mushrooms fried in butter and just eat them with French bread,,

Frank,,,,

• 2 years later...