Seals ?

Wonderwall

I've read a few folk on here talking about watching the seals on the beach.

Can someone tell me the best place to moor and then how to get to the beach. I imagine it either horsey or west somerton.

From the 2nd of July , 10 days on Saphire light. If anyone comes across us, feel free to come and introduce yourself, There is always a beer in the fridge.

cheers

neil

Hi Neil,

If you get through  PH Bridge, then yes. Horsey staithe is your place to go. Its years since we legged it there to see the seals, and you should from memory pass a smashing pub as well. Well can't have you walking on empty....can we? :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

Horsey is much better than West Somerton. Cross the road, make sure you have complete control of any young children as the willow can make crossing need careful attention. And just follow the path across the field towards the gap in the "Marram Hills"  you will pick up a track to the  Horsey Gap entrance to the beach. Keep on the track on the way back and you can refresh at the Nelson Head! It is about 20 minutes if fit 30 if not, a bit longer for small children.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

I've read a few folk on here talking about watching the seals on the beach.

Can someone tell me the best place to moor and then how to get to the beach. I imagine it either horsey or west somerton.

From the 2nd of July , 10 days on Saphire light. If anyone comes across us, feel free to come and introduce yourself, There is always a beer in the fridge.

cheers

neil

Hi Neil , seals can often be seen swimming at Sea Palling and I once got overtaken by one on Breydon Water , 

good luck

Andy

• Like 1

We moored in Woods yard when we were up last September and hired a day boat to go to Horsey.  If I remember rightly we had one for about five hours which was just about enough time to do what we wanted, which was to walk to the beach and spend some time seal watching.

• Like 1

Neil, it's a bit of a trek from horsey. Its best to drive to if you can, there's now a well developed park and display car park (You wont miss it.. there's a big sign "See the seals here") and you park right by the beach and see them looking back at you. (During pup season they now close the beach.. I think thats december though).. The beach alone though is a lovely sandy beach despite the car park it's still pretty deserted and worth a visit.  

Sometimes you do get pups on the beach.. anyone reading though please do as the signs say and don't get too close to them. We have seen people pretty much hugging them and as such they got abandoned and have to be rescued 

• Like 1

The beach is beautiful as described but you have to be very careful. There are very strong tidal streams long the beach which cause lows and banks. Should you wish to enter the water do so at Sea Palling where the water is sheltered by artificial reefs and there are RNLI lifeguards on duty.

• Like 3