Beyond Bishopgate Bridge Norwich

Movic

Question for the privateers among you.

Has many of you ventured beyond the Bishopgate bridge in Norwich Yacht station.?

My boats air draft is 6' 6" so height should be much of a problem , or is it ? Many other low bridges maybe ?

Indeed is it worth the effort, much to see etc ?  How far can you actually go ?

Just wondering if i should give it a go or not ?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Incidentally it is Bishop's Bridge, which leads to Bishopgate. I know you needed to know that!

It is said to be on the course of a Roman road which came in to Norwich via what is now the Sprowston Rd. and so is possibly the oldest river crossing in Norwich.

If you want another good pub, especially for lunch, walk up Chalk Hill Rd, right beside you at the yacht station, turn right at the top onto Rosary Rd and the Coach and Horses is an excellent pub with it's own brewery. Famous also for their home made chips in gravy.

When you come back, it's downhill all the way!

• Like 2

Great to go up there, water is clear, but keep to centre of channel, you can get as far as the mill at the end, but do not do the last 100 yards or so... too shallow, lots of weeds and debris, so turn early. On the way you are an arms length to a pub with a balcony with their customer's making witty remarks, so have something witty to say back lol. There are no places that I am aware of to moor, some private moorings are 10-15 feet below their gardens, with a vertical solid wall. Take it easy, take it slow, quite a few anglers down there in season, and several bridges, but never seen any issues, wave and acknowledge everyone.

It's an odd feeling going down there, you feel as though it is some peoples back gardens, and they are allowing you to pass through, if you know what I mean. Don't take it for granted, respect it, enjoy it. 

Remember,  take it slow 3 mph is too fast.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, BroadScot said:
13 hours ago, Viking23 said:

Great to go up there, water is clear, but keep to centre of channel, you can get as far as the mill at the end, but do not do the last 100 yards or so... too shallow, lots of weeds and debris, so turn early. On the way you are an arms length to a pub with a balcony with their customer's making witty remarks, so have something witty to say back lol. There are no places that I am aware of to moor, some private moorings are 10-15 feet below their gardens, with a vertical solid wall. Take it easy, take it slow, quite a few anglers down there in season, and several bridges, but never seen any issues, wave and acknowledge everyone.

It's an odd feeling going down there, you feel as though it is some peoples back gardens, and they are allowing you to pass through, if you know what I mean. Don't take it for granted, respect it, enjoy it. 

Remember,  take it slow 3 mph is too fast.

Thanks every one,sounds like its worth ago. as ever all very helpful