Lifeboat Called Out To Martham Broad Yesterday

HemsbyPie

43 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Got to agree with that. We spend a lot of our Broads time mudweighted on the Lime Kiln dyke arm of Barton. Over the years the reeds have encroached significantly into the open water. There's not much can be done, as it's not affecting navigation, but in time this arm of Barton will go the way of Sutton broad, most of which is now Sutton Fen!

Parts of that area have become much more weed infested over the last three years or so. I fouled our outboard  to the point of hardly making headway. We do however have platforms so once the engine was tilted it was easy to cut off. All along the arm of Barton leading to Gays and Lime Kiln it has got worse year on year. I think it might be because the broad has not frozen over for about four years and it keeps growing. Last year on the North Norfolk Coast I only got January off mowing. You used to winterise the mower Oct and not touch it till April, not now!

49 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Of course I was not there so I know nothing of the conditions prevailing. And yes, I did enjoy my moules frites for lunch.

I would give almost anything to be down there again. Totally impossible though for us now, I am afraid.

39 minutes ago, ChrisB said:
1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Of course I was not there so I know nothing of the conditions prevailing. And yes, I did enjoy my moules frites for lunch.

I would give almost anything to be down there again. Totally impossible though for us now, I am afraid.

Thank you. I'll take that as an apology.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Thank you. I'll take that as an apology.

Dear Vaughan, 

I would hate to think that I upset you in any way. I was merely trying to say that you were in the South of France and that quite reasonably you would not expect force 8 to severe 9 along the English Channel and the tail to lash the East Coast. In other words you would have expected normal August conditions on the Upper Thurne. And yes in calm conditions you could row a long warp out to a casualty as I have seen Richardsons do many times when one of their punters miss the entrance to the Ant and find the putty in Turkey Broad.

• Like 2