How Many Engines Is Best?

Baitrunner

So is it one or two? Or maybe if you fancy it how about 5 x 250 HP Suzuki 4 strokes?

these were mounted on today's transport - a 50ft x 14ft beam speedboat come ferry. 

have you tried these Eric?

cruising at 22knots with 52 passengers all with a large suitcase each. I don't want his fuel bill!!!

it was good to see Stuart has branched out from Norfolk to sell some of the new navy blue engine covers!!!!

the scary thing was the stuff on the 4th engine to ward off evil spirits. Even more worrying when they told us they get a copy  of our passports now - since one caught fire!! 

Still not much chance of these being stolen very easily  

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Tried them many times to go to the islands from Jakarta. Even got to drive one for an hour once. Then there was the guy who just finished his boat and mounted 4X250 hp on the back. He took it out for a spin and then came back in to moor. Gave it too much welly in reverse and pulled the transom right off the boat

• Like 4

If Suzuki outboards are anything like my Grand Vitara I was stupid enough to buy you would need five for safety as they failed.

I bought the Grand Vitara when I retired and spent another 2K on a white leater interior. To have:

17 weeks off the road in 3 years while they replaced All four Wheels, 4 transfer boxes. The Automatic gearbox, the torque converter. Two drive shafts, the prop shaft. And the last time they crashed it in the work shop. 

4 hours ago, ChrisB said:

If Suzuki outboards are anything like my Grand Vitara I was stupid enough to buy you would need five for safety as they failed.

I bought the Grand Vitara when I retired and spent another 2K on a white leater interior. To have:

17 weeks off the road in 3 years while they replaced All four Wheels, 4 transfer boxes. The Automatic gearbox, the torque converter. Two drive shafts, the prop shaft. And the last time they crashed it in the work shop. 

I think I would have asked for a replacement in these circumstances. As for the outboards from Suzuki I have a DF15 hasn't missed a beat guess it's luck of the draw sometimes. And yes the Broadsbeat covers are a universal export. Lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Well Caroles 2001 Suzi Jimbo auto is 15 years old this year just passed mot couple of minor advisories same as last year :rolleyes:

65k on clock had it 3 years with no issues great for terrorising holiday makers on the back roads in North Norfolk especially when the roads are flooded :party:

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 2

MM, I remember when I was in control (engineering wise) of a hotel in Figi. I was on an inspection visit and went out on one of the hotel boats. The operators were complaining that they had to be weight lifters to keep it in a straight line until I tilted both outboards and showed them that the props were spinning in the same direction. They thought that I was a magician when they changed an engine and it went straight.

• Like 4

Eric I guess if they have 3 vs 2 the torque steer isn't too bad. To be honest they didn't have any transom left for a sixth engine!!

i thought you could just use one engine each day of the week and have the weekend off!:dance

chris that's not a good advert for Suzuki, but sounds like you got the Friday afternoon special. Would have hoped they might have replaced it with that many faults though. 

• Like 2

I bought the Grand Vitara on recommendation of my local tyre man who had had four without trouble. But his were the older model with the manual transfer box not the electric selection like mine. The Auto box and torque converter was wrecked when returning to Bucks having purchased our home in Norfolk. The car completely on its own locked the diff at 70 mph.!

13 hours ago, riyadhcrew said:

...I'll have to ask what they do with an odd number of screws.

Many of us face this every day, one engine, one prop. What you will notice is that the boat will turn tighter in one direction than the other.

Increasing or decreasing the throttle will also turn the boat, so you need to correct the steering to compensate.

Richard