Pyes Mill Moorings Loddon

Boatingman

Had a walk round The moorings this morning and noticed that they now have the Standard Broads Authority

24 hour Mooring Signs up usual maximum 24 hour stay no return within 24 hours

Also at least one of the yachts there had a notice attached to it

Hopefully the others will also be removed

I thought these moorings where Parish Council not Broads Authority I therefore assume some agreement as been reached between them

Ray

• Like 8

As parish moorings it would be down to the council, not the BA to take action over anyone over staying and possibly the drafting of some local byelaw prohibiting over staying. I suspect they have been leased to the BA at a preferential rate and this allows the BA as leaseholder to deal with any over stayers under the existing BA byelaws. If so a sensible solution.

• Like 5

I have had a few thoughts on this one. Please regard these comments as questions and observations rather than facts. I notice the comment that prior to being managed by the Authority that Pye's Mill was managed by the local parish council. Does that mean that the moorings are or were what locally are called 'parish moorings'? In the past, if I understand things correctly, parish moorings have traditionally provided moorings for parishioners. In other words mooring holders had to live within the local parish. In many cases parish moorings became self-managed by parishioners who use the mooring as, I believe, is the case at Langly Dyke for example. Does anyone actually know the legal status of Pye's Mill? Is it a public staithe for example? Does the local PCC have a duty to provide moorings for it parishioners? I fully support the creation of 24 hour moorings but I do wonder, in this case, whether in providing moorings for visiting boats, laudable, if perhaps the locals have lost their right to moor. 

• Like 3

Again, only an observation, but these moorings have always been signed since I first visited in 2001 as free 24hr moorings. (although not BA 24hr signs) I have never witnessed long term annual mooring at this location by parishioners. I always presumed the moorings, and indeed the common was owned by the parish and made available as a facility to visitors.

There is a short section of mooring on the Port bank above Wroxham bridge space for about two boats that has at times had BA mooring signs, but currently is just signed as a free 24hr mooring and is again provided by the parish I believe?

I agree I have never seen parishoners long term moor there

Last Summer 3 or 4 boats moored there most of the summer I think 1 was moved on by BA as unlicensed a couple of yachts plus one small cruiser have been there most of the winter

But i noticed on Sunday at least one had an enforcement notice on it

Unable to read detail notice was river side

• Like 1

A good example of parish moorings is at Womak Staithe, where there are parish moorings and public moorings run by the parish. 

The mooring fees are fair, they are well maintained, facilities including water, toilets and wast bins at the toilets. 

Needless to say it is one of my favorite stops on the Broads.

Regards

Alan

• Like 7

Maybe these are new BA 24 hour signs referred to in the original post. Certainly the ones I photographed in June 2015 were as below but that doesn't mean the others weren't there. One of these is a BA sign of sorts and the other is the Parish Council. There's also picnic benches and a car park so not your typical BA mooring perhaps and more indicative of the Parish Council being involved. The area looks well maintained.

P1080382.jpeg

P1080386.jpeg

P1040569.jpg

• Like 2