The Shakes

riyadhcrew

2 hours ago, addicted said:

All those females in your life!!! My word  some men have all the luck.:clap

Carole

Four daughters, five grandaughters, grandmother, mother & mother in-law, several aunts and Margaret Thatcher, I've had a really emancipated life, not!

Q, many years ago I made models for architects and two local authorities so modelling has for far too long been a latent hobby in waiting. Trouble is that the mechanics have moved on from my three rail Hornby days! 

When I retired. my friendly bank manager offered me a 'health check', the first step being to go through my standing orders, that was a revelation in itself! My racing days, and interest, are long gone so I don't regret letting those clubs go.

Cars, righting my mistakes and cack handedness would cost far more than the normal costs incurred at a garage! 

From what you've said there is nothing stopping you making a model railway. If you stick to DC power (still in common use) as used in Hornby 3 rail there is no difference on 2 rail except how the power is collected. There was a Hornby  3 rail layout at Saturdays model railway show in Norwich.

The track  it'self is easier , set track with preformed curves is just the same, but with less connections, and there is now the option of 1 yard ( or metre ) lengths of flexible track to curve as you like.

Only if you go for Digital Command Control would there be any difference.

In DCC a digital signal is sent along the rails converted in a chip in the loco to produce motion and / or real recordings of locomotive noises.

The hand controllers for DCC are covered in buttons as you can select and control up to 128 locomotives at the same time, and it is possible for the childs delight of having two trains travelling towards each other on the same track!!! Not a good idea!

I've been known to put adverts for sailing events on model railway site too.....

• Like 1

Salvation Eric,

I happen to know somewhere in the electrons of time there is a nearby forum requiring fresh leadership.

This may require you to make frequent visits to a watery place where time slows but days pass quickly.

There are plenty of diversions available and the ultimate goal for you is to make the forum stay on topic!

But I think that is beyond mans control even the great Jonzo has failed miserably, some consider it an impossible dream.

paul

• Like 1

I retired at fifty on the 24th of June last year. It was an impulse decision...sort of. Just because the idiots are running the asylum doesn't mean I had to keep supporting them and their stupid ideas. So after the national result I waved cheerio and walked away with a HUGE grin on my face and left them to it. Adjusting to being skint was no difficulty...I've always been skint. The women in my life keep me occupied in my new role of dog walker and personal chauffeur. The shock of my decision to just walk away and retire stunned them enough to realise there is actually a limit to my patience and tolerance. So as they say...'Job's a good'un'. Should I ever get bored I could always go into politics...I'm sure the Beast of Bolsover would shove up and make room for the Git from Gainsborough. :naughty:

• Like 2