The Shakes

riyadhcrew

Just now, riyadhcrew said:

Hi JM,

I basically retired last June and I am bored to tears. Trying to find some work to stop me going crazy.

As for the broads - that is a distinct possibility.

Try a hobby rather than a job!  Granted that I found the first year of retirement something of an adjustment period I can now thoroughly recommend it. I first tried retiring at fifty five but that was way to early, but when I finally made it at sixty seven , well, I'm glad that I did.

• Like 3

Three women, only three!  On top of that I have sixteen female chickens, four female boats, five female grandchildren, a female prime-minister and a female Queen!

Every man should have a shed/bolt hole, a handy local serving Adnams, infinite patience, a tool box, a wooden boat and a fishing rod.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, riyadhcrew said:

Hi JM,

I basically retired last June and I am bored to tears. Trying to find some work to stop me going crazy.

As for the broads - that is a distinct possibility.

Sorry but is it only men that get bored. it seems so to me.   I can always find a job to do in doors , they find me.   I am never bored.   Hubby at this time of year is bored stiff.   Cannot get out in the garden which he loves.    So yes I think it is a male thing.:hiding:

• Like 3

Today's projects: un-rig a bowsprit and strip varnish and then finish varnishing door post into conservatory. I really don't understand where my fellow males find time to be bored? Then my workshop is suddenly even more confused than Grendel's, I really do need to sort that one out!

• Like 4

One is a member of  two sailing clubs,  and three sailing associations,

One is  member of One Broads Forum and views One other.

One is a member of two Kilt forums,

One is a member of Three model railway forums,

One sailing boat,

One motor boat.

One model railway club, 

One model railway under construction of my own.

One landrover, One Ten,

One car,

One Motor Scooter,

One House,

One and a half acres of garden / jungle

Can One retire? I've got too much to do...

• Like 3

On retirement I dumped several sailing clubs and I don't miss them one iota.

As for forums, one angling, one Broads, one Drascombe, that's enough for me..

E.Bay, amazing, after forty five years of marriage and having lived in the same house all that time I had accumulated so much junk, junk that was too good to throw out so E.Bay has been a god send although the novelty is now wearing off,

Likewise on the jungle/wild garden, only an acre and a couple of hours with ride-on and a strimmer sees to that.

I do like model railways, if only I could find the time!

We have nearby Bressingham Gardens and the railway museum down there, my youngest grandson is enthralled by our visits there so just maybe I will start to divert time to toy trains;).

Cars, a necessary evil in life, I really don't see how anyone could make a hobby out of them.

Bird watching, now that is proving a joy because both my wife and I can do that together. Whilst I don't like the RSPB we both enjoy our trips to Minsmere despite having hundreds of acres of superb nature reserve within a mile of our home.

We all tackle retirement in our own ways. My neighbour opposite has bought a rather tasty BMW motor bike on retirement and he and his Missus do about 12,000 mile every summer touring Europe. Not for me, living besides the Broads then why should I want to do that? We make use of what we have, simples!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Three women, only three!  On top of that I have sixteen female chickens, four female boats, five female grandchildren, a female prime-minister and a female Queen!

Every man should have a shed/bolt hole, a handy local serving Adnams, infinite patience, a tool box, a wooden boat and a fishing rod.

All those females in your life!!! My word  some men have all the luck.:clap

Carole

• Like 3

May I suggest viewing  RMWEB if you intend to work on model railways for the grand children. There are many layouts on there, many ideas and many helpful people. You certainly would not be unusual in building a layout for the children / grandchildren. There are some frightenly good modellers on there as well. Examples of the frightenly good layouts

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28293-manchester-central-clc-gn-warehouses-castlefield-viaducts/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2978-waverley-west-princes-st-gardens-and-haymarket-mpd/

you may want to start with something simpler!!

The car, is not a hobby but a necessity , But with the great reduction of income once retired, it will require servicing, so I'll be doing it...

The two sailing clubs are required if I want to keep on  racing and they have a good social life outside of racing. Since their combined membership fees are about £150 for a family, people don't join those clubs for social climbing...