Which frost thermostat?

Hi Peeps

Yesterday I turned on the tube heaters in the engine bay on Serenity to protect against the cold. I've never has tube heaters before, but these are about 4 feet long, one by each engine. I was somewhat dismayed to see today when I went down to the boat, that they had used nearly £2.00 of electricity in 24hours :o .

Obviously I need to fit a frost thermostat so they only come on when needed. Which type would anyone recommend? I've looked on ebay, but they seem to be room type thermostats, and I'm not sure if they are any good for damp conditions.

Hi

I am a newbie so dont really have any idea on much about anything boat wise . However this link was given to me on the owners forum and that's what I put on my boat - any good - too early to say - but thought it might be of interest:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/ ... index.html

Also it was suggested that a put a thermometer in the engine bay to ensure the stat is set right to allow the heaters to come on at the right time:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28841

The guy who advised this said "I find with 4-5deg setting the measured temperature never drops less than 2-3deg but this will depend on your bay so its worth having a method of measurement."

Hope this is of some use.

regards

Wayne

Hi Mark

The temp stat that Wayne has noted above is exactly the same one as I have just ordered !!

Out of interest, I have ordered a 135 watt 3ft energy saving tubular heater for the engine bay as I presumed that would be more than enough - also from TLC, order code HETH453 - BUT you say you have TWO 4ft ones - could this be overkill, or am I wishing too much from one x 135 watt ?

Assuming my very very limited knowledge of electricity and presuming that your 4ft ones are 185 watt then:

185w x 2 x 24hours = 8.8kw / day x £0.125/kw = £1.10 on my home electricity meter - so I guess £2 would be right in a marina !! - Yep - get the stat !!

Hi Mark,

That plug in stat that Wayne has posted is suitable. I was in the middle of a reply but Wayne beat me to it. :clap

For your info, we use one three foot tube heater which is left on all the time plus one oil filled rad in the cabin controlled by stat and it costs us 0.45 pence per day. Personally, I like to keep the ambient temp in the engine bay quite high throughout winter and I find it helps eliminate the damp start probs that can arise with a petrol engine.

A neighbour uses the stat Wayne posted the link to and said it works a treat cheers

Hi

I am a newbie so dont really have any idea on much about anything boat wise . However this link was given to me on the owners forum and that's what I put on my boat - any good - too early to say - but thought it might be of interest:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/ ... index.html

Also it was suggested that a put a thermometer in the engine bay to ensure the stat is set right to allow the heaters to come on at the right time:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28841

The guy who advised this said "I find with 4-5deg setting the measured temperature never drops less than 2-3deg but this will depend on your bay so its worth having a method of measurement."

Hope this is of some use.

regards

Wayne

Many thanks Wayne, Luke and Jim. I have now ordered the thermostat and the thermometer as recommended :wave I'll have to do a little bit of rewiring, but we'll soon get that sorted!

With reference to your siggy Mark, you may need a wet wipe for a salty bottom :mrgreen:

However, during our holiday afloat on Topaz this August, JImbo consumed a lot of BBQ ribs that are covered in that sweet red sauce and used wet wipes to clean his hands after.

The moral of this story is.......do not shove them where I did after I'd used them. Servicing a pump out lavvy on a sunny Sunday morning was never in the game plan :oops::oops:

Jabsco pump out toilets don't like them at all :naughty:

Agree the one on the TLC site is the one I use.

Used for three winters without an issue and only licks in when the temperature falls below that set so only in use when really needed.

Thanks Perry. I don't mind paying for the leccy when it's protecting the beasties in the engine bay from freezing, but I'm buggered if I'm gonna pay for it to keep them toasty when it's not that cold! :naughty:

mind you, looking at the forecast I think they'd be on full time for the next few days anyway!

I use 500 watt oil filled rads with built in frost stats set to come in at +5c one in the engine room, one in front cabin and one in the main saloon. together with a dehumidifier on a timer to run for 12 hrs per day, seems to do the job. Last winter at 11 pence per unit cost me approx £38 All running from October until March. I have to agree with David, if power is cut, could be a problem. At our yard the proprietors check supplies regularly, especially in icy conditions, so I guess we are lucky in that respect.

xmas6