Police Radio Broadcasts

Poppy

No doubt Wildfuzz will be along soon to answer this question.

I was always led to believe that it is ok to listen to the broadcasts but illegal to act on the information ie. turn up at the scene of a crime or accident.

The police eventually switched to using two different frequencies to fox listeners. No doubt, nowadays the transmissions are encrypted but Wildfuzz will probably put us right on that if he is allowed to discuss police communications. 

Yes I remember tuning into Essex police whilst under the covers at night, it was only ever a one way conversation though, I think you could get the control room messages but not those from the car sets. When I first joined there were two radios, your personal one which put you in touch with the local controller (at the station in those days) and the car set which was county wide and put you in touch with Chelmsford county control. Hard work at time monitoring two different conversations. The local one was always used most, often a "white file" was requested - a pint of milk for the Inspector, and a "Foxtrot Charlie for six" - Fish and chips x 6.

Nowadays it is a digitally encrypted trunk system which is controlled at county CCR`s (Contact and control room) they are clever little things that can text and call and be used as a mobile phone, you can contact any officer anywhere in the country if you have there details............ No strange coded messages anymore!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Yes I used to pick them up as well.

I did 2 years work for Home Office repairing radios for the plod and fire etc. we converted 100's of motorola radio's to encrypted sets which would take 3/4hr to convert yet could build a new set in 30 mins. The scamble program was put on via a handheld programmer (ok it was the old 2 line Psion organiser in a fancy case)

Can't belive I used to drive down Norfolk and below delivering and collecting radios if a driver was off then back in a day. but 20 years ago 70mph was a lot faster!! with no one wanting your picture.

5 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

The local one was always used most, often a "white file" was requested - a pint of milk for the Inspector, and a "Foxtrot Charlie for six" - Fish and chips x 6.

Nowadays it is a digitally encrypted trunk system which is controlled at county CCR`s (Contact and control room) they are clever little things that can text and call and be used as a mobile phone, you can contact any officer anywhere in the country if you have there details............ No strange coded messages anymore!!!!!!!!

Our cars were often parked outside the 'Lima Papa place' (licensed premises) -didn't need to specify which one lol. We piggybacked on the old bill system and often heard "Church, radio procedure please"  _ Happy days!