Whereto Buy Pint At The Price

addicted

What is the price that has horrified him? £3.20-£3.75 is probably about average across-the-board in an average broads pub, though I'm sure Howard can correct me. 

I think it is an historical thing going back to when Norfolk was 'Watneyized' back in the 60-70s.

• Like 2

Never touch Stella but I would say Lab is pretty much on the mark price wise. The Dog at Ludham Bridge is one of the most reasonably priced on the Broads in my experience. The Humpty Dumpty in the Swan at Loddon is under 3 quid a pint. The re-opened Waveney at OB was always very good on price. 

As a very rough rule of thumb the riverside pubs will charge more, if you are prepared to walk further away prices are generally cheaper. 

The superb Caxton Club in Beccles is very reasonable indeed, around a fiver for drinks for me and Mrs Nog cheersbar

Having said all of that, sitting on the terrace of the Hotel Wroxham watching all the goings on is well worth it in my book :-)

• Like 6

we are currently 3.50 for ales and keg stuff goes from 3.20 to 3.90...

pricing is down to rent, wages and business rates...

our business rates go up 20 grand this april along with another living wage increase, supplier increase and interest on a 700k refurb. unless places are ran by a couple and owned outright you probably wont see much under 4 quid after april when it all kicks in i am afraid and prob hitting 5quid a pint on some riverside pubs

• Like 3

The Dog at Ludham gets my vote but they are a freehouse and are not tied to the rather greedy pub chains and can buy their beer at a reasonable price.

I know many forumites may groan at what I am going to say but it has to be said. If Tim Martin (Wetherspoons) can buy beer off the breweries and sell it at a reasonable price so can all the other pub chains. No doubt the pub chains do buy beer at possibly the same sort of price as Tim does but sell it on to their landlords at the inflated prices and obviously the landlords have to pass the price on to their customers or go out of business. The landlords have no choice but to buy the beer off the pub chains if they are tied to them.

What I have said applies to all pubs, not just the ones on The Broads. In general, most pubs on the Broads mirror the prices of pubs in Southern England. Personally, I just drop in if I am passing a Broads pub for a couple of pints and push off to a nice quiet wild mooring and have a couple of tinnies with my evening meal and possibly a bit of fishing. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, thingamybob said:

The Dog at Ludham gets my vote but they are a freehouse and are not tied to the rather greedy pub chains and can buy their beer at a reasonable price.

I know many forumites may groan at what I am going to say but it has to be said. If Tim Martin (Wetherspoons) can buy beer off the breweries and sell it at a reasonable price so can all the other pub chains. No doubt the pub chains do buy beer at possibly the same sort of price as Tim does but sell it on to their landlords at the inflated prices and obviously the landlords have to pass the price on to their customers or go out of business. The landlords have no choice but to buy the beer off the pub chains if they are tied to them.

What I have said applies to all pubs, not just the ones on The Broads. In general, most pubs on the Broads mirror the prices of pubs in Southern England. Personally, I just drop in if I am passing a Broads pub for a couple of pints and push off to a nice quiet wild mooring and have a couple of tinnies with my evening meal and possibly a bit of fishing. 

one thing to consider and it is often lost in the arguments is that although pub co's do over charge on beer they do enable people who cannot afford to buy their own pub run a business with minimum ingoings and a lower rent than if they were to get a loan or finance for a purchase. 

as i said the price of a pint is all led by business rates, wages and overheads etc

the dog has a business rateable value of 7.75k but due to location and being so low they will pay likely no business rates

hopefully that would show why such a variation in pricing across the broads 

• Like 3