Owning A Boat On The Broads

JennyMorgan

18 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

I think boating can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose to make it. A modest boat on a non serviced mooring can be had for pocket money whereas BA in her nice wetshed on electric etc will cost four or five times as much. Ultimately it has to be what works for you. The simplicity of syndicate where its all taken care of, the private ownership with the luxury of flexibility versus responsibility or hiring with its ease of just turn up, enjoy and walk away.

Sorry, must have missed this gem last night, sums it up perfectly.

In my defence I was half on the forum, half on you tube and half watching The Green Mile, if you can have 3 halves.

Just now, Wyndham said:

Sorry, must have missed this gem last night, sums it up perfectly.

In my defence I was half on the forum, half on you tube and half watching The Green Mile, if you can have 3 halves.

You can have as many halves as you please but mines a pint of NBA :default_norty:

• Like 1

Our mooring costs us £1380 per annum for our 37footer.

Thats with an electric point (usage at cost per unit)

Fresh water right behind the boat, pump out pipe reaches the boat without having to move her. On site bog (if your brave enough!) and no silly winter land storage rates just the price of lift out chock up and back in again. 

No fancy showers, no campers, park less than 50yards away.

We have paid the Ferry and WRC prices in the past but it wasnt worth it for us, we only wish we had found this hidden gem years ago! 

Oh and walking distance to all local services you need!! 

Just now, dnks34 said:

Our mooring costs us £1380 per annum for our 37footer.

Thats with an electric point (usage at cost per unit)

Fresh water right behind the boat, pump out pipe reaches the boat without having to move her. On site bog (if your brave enough!) and no silly winter land storage rates just the price of lift out chock up and back in again. 

No fancy showers, no campers, park less than 50yards away.

We have paid the Ferry and WRC prices in the past but it wasnt worth it for us, we only wish we had found this hidden gem years ago! 

Oh and walking distance to all local services you need!! 

Where are you ?

If I stayed within a 100 miles of the broads , I would seriously think about having a boat. I can't afford one , but sacrifices could of course be made.

I also would look at the possibility of hiring some budget boats for what would probably be 4 vists a year. A bit more expensive of course but no hassle.

If I had serious tin, I would look at living aboard the summer months , with maybe a break during peak 6 weeks and the other 5 months of Nov to end of March renting a wee flat in some warmer climes.

Thats pipe dreams unfortunately, but you just never know, my numbers might come up, or some mad football accumulator might just come in one day. 

Or my Nigerian friend who keeps emailing me might eventually come up with this money he is promising me :default_dunce:

• Like 5

Those two boats the Skipper kindly posted a link to I can say from personal experience having hired both are probably the best boats we have ever hired for that price range, sorry I know this thread isn't about hire boats but you can't honestly go wrong with boats like that for the price you pay, if you're not retired and your time is limited it's a good way to go I reckon until money and time could be spent on ownership

Grace

• Like 1