It/telecoms Experts Needed...

JawsOrca

Hopefully someone can help advise.

We have a really slow internet connection with downloads of 7mb but uploads of 700kbs but it's hardly getting that upload and it's causing a pain.   I think the line is adsl+.. BT are saying there is nothing faster without getting a leased line (EFM?!) but it's like £300 a month with a 3 year contract and only 5mb each way.. Is there any other "thing" out there which will help.. Ideally I want VOIP with at least  3mb up ideally 10mb up..

I'm software world really so I'm a bit lost.. Appreciate anyone's help as always.

Cheers Alan

I'd get a Three SIM on a rolling 1 month contract which offer truly unlimited 4G data:  https://store.three.co.uk/view/content/mbasket?ID=1666

Then this Router: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unlocked-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B016ZWXYXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501274997&sr=8-1&keywords=4g+router

Then I would circumnavigate the fact Three may ban your SIM should they detect it is being used in a Router (they use the IMEI of the hardware) change the AP to 3internet rather than three.co.uk in the router settings. This is what Pay As You Go use. These Pay As You Go 'all you can eat bundles' seem to get away with it (from recent experience) where as contract customers run the very real risk of having their SIM blocked and another months money coming out.

The alterantive is get a cheap old  android phone with DCHSDPA (Galaxy S3LTE for example) and set up a wifi hotspot. Boost this with a range extender/repeater like the: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WR702N-150Mbps-Wireless-Router-Green/dp/B00CEAV8TG/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1501275417&sr=1-2&keywords=WR702N

I think there are some Asus routers you can directly connect the phone to via the USB port which excludes the need for a wifi hotspot  and extender/repeater.

• Like 1

Hi Alan, I bought a '3' data sim card with 20gig of data valid for 2 years £35, a Huawei mifi for £60 and get 4g virtually anywhere on the broads ( except home base).

It was better at home than our broadband until we changed to fibre.

paul

• Like 1

Cheers guys, problem with mobile is it's expensive and not really a long term solution for a business where we are using a serious amount of data. The mobile companies will quickly see us in breach of fair use policy.  We also have the problem that the building we are in has problems receiving mobile signals so it really needs a cable connection... does seem a bit annoying that BT still have got their act together and cabled everyone in.

Alan, the sim card I mentioned is just loaded with 20gig of data how you use it is up to you.

If you use 20gig a month it works out at £30 a month, nearly tempted me to get rid of landline.

If you find the strongest place for mobile signal you could put the mifi there, plugged into mains supply and with a wifi extender the signal should reach where you need it. The unit can cope with 6 different users connected to it.

As a cost comparison to what you have been quoted probably each user could have their own mifi and get new data sims when required.

paul

ps we have liveaboard friends who were paying £20 a month to Tingdene, I showed them my system it will cost them £90 set up and probably £30/year. They got 4g on the river opposite Coldham Hall.

I think from reading Alan's post that this is for his workplace not his home (but I stand to be corrected) 

If so. I can't see the mobile dongle route being feasible and as he said, the mobile signal is poor in their building 

Sorry I can't suggest a suitable supplier but would think it needs to be hard wired.

Could you speak to other businesses in the area & see who they use

if he is at his workplace in the dockyard then upgrading the network for data may be problemattical, due to the restrictions on when and where you are allowed to dig. maybe the site needs to consider installing a wireless network to handle the load, I seem to recall some pubs doing this for internet networks for remote villages with low signal strength, via a satellite link to the broadband network.

Hey guys, was just up on the boat for the weekend.. Yeah it's for work.  There aren't really other businesses near by like us. I traced the cables back and there is a box with a trench so they can run cables. Jonzo made some good companies and I'll talk to them tomorrow. Sadly as I say mobile just isn't suitable for a business when we have VOIP and other bits running, we could easily do 20gb a day.. But it is perfect for else where, i have a mifi unit for orca, I've got a phone line at home but if cruising then the phone will be good enough.

Cheers, Alan

• Like 1