August Discounts

BrundallNavy

We might or might not, not really the point that I was trying to put over though.

In this day and age folk's expectations are far higher than they were back in the 1970s/80s. If I were to come to the Broads on holiday then I would, I think, quite reasonably expect a degree of quality when it comes to pubs and restaurants. As we all know there are some cracking pubs and restaurants in the area, hardly need to regurgitate a list of them, but equally there are some that for far too long have been quite prepared to take the money but have never reinvested a single penny more than they have had to,  and it is really beginning to show. A downward spiral if ever there was one.  A problem for pubs is is that people are used to their back at home prices and those are the prices that they are prepared to pay. As far as boats are concerned, people pay what's asked of them because they have no back at home prices to compare with. Pubs with a seasonal turnover need to charge more, but would they get away with it? Something of a Catch 22. In this day and age people expect better than a shed with a licence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

We might or might not, not really the point that I was trying to put over though.

In this day and age folk's expectations are far higher than they were back in the 1970s/80s. If I were to come to the Broads on holiday then I would, I think, quite reasonably expect a degree of quality when it comes to pubs and restaurants. As we all know there are some cracking pubs and restaurants in the area, hardly need to regurgitate a list of them, but equally there are some that for far too long have been quite prepared to take the money but have never reinvested a single penny more than they have had to,  and it is really beginning to show. A downward spiral if ever there was one.  A problem for pubs is is that people are used to their back at home prices and those are the prices that they are prepared to pay. As far as boats are concerned, people pay what's asked of them because they have no back at home prices to compare with. Pubs with a seasonal turnover need to charge more, but would they get away with it? Something of a Catch 22. In this day and age people expect better than a shed with a licence.

Not forgetting that most folk these days have experienced exceptional customer service, at cheaper prices, under endless sunshine! Hence the higher expectation as you so rightly say. Since Banque Paribas started this ten year mess with their freeze on certain bonds the "Stay Vacation" has given the home industry and undoubtedly The Broads a real boost, but how many have re-invested given this boom time? To their credit I think the large boat hire companies have. But what happens if we return to pre 2008 and a strong Stirling?  I agree with you Peter totally, except that the "Shed with a licence" don't half work well when coupled with oysters, a sea food platter, lobster salad, or just plain Cod & Chips.

• Like 1