Broads Railway Bridges.

JennyMorgan

At one time Oulton Broad/Mutford, Reedham, Beccles, Aldeby, Somerleyton & Somerleyton railway bridges were all single track. As demand increased several were rebuilt as twin track, as we see today. A friend discovered this picture of the original single track bridge at Oulton Broad, interesting because apart from Beccles all the others were of similar design.

Oulton Broad railway bridge.jpg

Oulton Broad Wherry Hotel & Viaduct B.jpg

• Like 5

I've always known this as the Aldeby Swing Bridge but railways buffs tell me it is, or was, the Beccles Swing Bridge. Here is the original 1900's, single track bridge. The wherry is wearing the burgee of the Nobs & Snobs, Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club. Was she the 'Gypsy', a wherry that crossed the North sea & toured Friesland & the Polders of Holland in the latter years of the 19th century? She was owned and sailed by a Lord, presumably as such he would have been an RNSYC member.

Aldeby Beccles railway bridge c 1900..jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the pics JM.

Lovely pic of Britannia class 70003 John Bunyan crossing the Waveney at Aldeby.

Bit of a light load of four very mixed coaches for a 94 ton locomotive originally designed for mixed (freight and passenger) traffic but mainly used on express passenger trains.

• Like 1

This thread has been rather timely. I'm working on an album of photographs from 1895 at the moment which covers "The Cruise of the Mayflower from Wroxham to Oulton Broad."

Amongst them is the photograph below which, I believe shows the original, single track swing bridge at Haddiscoe/Herringfleet. Am I right that Aldeby & Heringfleet were "twin" bridges as were the original Somerleyton and Reedham? When I first saw Peter's photograph of Aldeby, I wondered whether my holiday party had actually made it's way to Beccles, although there is no photographic evidence to suggest that they made it any further along the Waveney than Oulton Broad.  The hill to the right in the background of my photo do look like the Herrigfleet hills to me - the view would be looking back towards St Olaves if I am right There is another photograph in the album taken of the big house which, at that time, seemingly stood alone atop the hills there, near to where the rail bridge crossed the Waveney.

I would appreciate others thoughts as I can't find any other photographs of the original bridge here to help with identification.

bm1895_brading02.jpg.8201272a90c9cec118ec4753e4b42556.jpg

Carol

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, AdnamsGirl said:

This thread has been rather timely. I'm working on an album of photographs from 1895 at the moment which covers "The Cruise of the Mayflower from Wroxham to Oulton Broad."

Amongst them is the photograph below which, I believe shows the original, single track swing bridge at Haddiscoe/Herringfleet. Am I right that Aldeby & Heringfleet were "twin" bridges as were the original Somerleyton and Reedham? When I first saw Peter's photograph of Aldeby, I wondered whether my holiday party had actually made it's way to Beccles, although there is no photographic evidence to suggest that they made it any further along the Waveney than Oulton Broad.  The hill to the right in the background of my photo do look like the Herrigfleet hills to me - the view would be looking back towards St Olaves if I am right There is another photograph in the album taken of the big house which, at that time, seemingly stood alone atop the hills there, near to where the rail bridge crossed the Waveney.

I would appreciate others thoughts as I can't find any other photographs of the original bridge here to help with identification.

bm1895_brading02.jpg.8201272a90c9cec118ec4753e4b42556.jpg

Carol

Hi Carol,

The pillars that are still visible towards the hill would seem to fit in with your theory.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1