Mighty Cruise Ships

SwanR

Has anyone else been watching this series hidden away on the Quest channel? They can become very much all the same ... gigantic floating hotels, all trying to outdo each other to be the biggest and shiniest and best in the world. But occasionally you get one that's a little different.

I was watching the episode about the Royal Clipper. Magnificent. When they get the wind and can cut the engines to truly cruise under sail power it looked amazing. The route looked quite interesting as well as this particular voyage was around the Mediterranean - Rome, Sicily, Montenegro, Croatia, Venice and probably a couple of other places that I can't remember.

I'm still not sure whether I would ever want to go on a cruise but this did look like something a little different. They seemed to be doing as much as possible the old-fashioned way i.e. manually handling the loading of all the luggage, loading the supplies on ropes and pulleys and climbing way up high into the rigging to mend a torn sail.

It was no wonder that this vessel attracts a lot of attention wherever it goes.

https://www.starclippers.co.uk/our-fleet/royal-clipper/introducing-royal-clipper.html

• Like 1

When I first saw the title of this topic, I thought perhaps it related to Robin’s ‘Independence’!

What a fantastic sight all those sails on that ship. It could certainly tempt me although I would want to join in with deck duties etc. Sadly I am far too old now to contemplate climbing rigging etc! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

I too watched that and found it very interesting, showing that you can combine the modern systems with old fashioned sailing technology, it was interesting though that when they had to send someone aloft, they had to shut down the radar.

They never did that on ‘Hornblower’!

• Like 1