Out in the salt again!

After spendin ga very pleasant evening enjoying the hospitality of Luke and Claire, we locked through this morning and under the bridge only to be presented with a very inviting flat-calm sea at Lowestoft!

Although my Mum really didn't want to go out, as she was on the bopat she didn't really have a choice, so a quick 30 minute blast about was had. Our first time on the salt with no other salty bottoms for moral support! I must admit though, the chart plotter gives a huge comfort factor!

I'm glad the wind forecast was wrong yet again, and we are now enjoying a beer and the sun in RNSYC :wave

After spendin ga very pleasant evening enjoying the hospitality of Luke and Claire, we locked through this morning and under the bridge only to be presented with a very inviting flat-calm sea at Lowestoft!

Although my Mum really didn't want to go out, as she was on the bopat she didn't really have a choice, so a quick 30 minute blast about was had. Our first time on the salt with no other salty bottoms for moral support! I must admit though, the chart plotter gives a huge comfort factor!

I'm glad the wind forecast was wrong yet again, and we are now enjoying a beer and the sun in RNSYC :wave

Nice to go out on your own Mark for a change as it will give you some more confidence and experience.it does help tho when its flat calm.. cheersbarcheers:party2::party2::party2:

Well we got a bit braver this morning, and after brekkie headed out of Lowestoft at just after 9:00 having plotted a course on the chartplotter (a Standard Horizon CP300i, Jonathan) to Southwold.

Flat calm sea and glorious sunshine again, and we were at Southwold in less than 25 mins with no dramas. We didn't attempt the harbour as we were only out for an hour before the 11:15 bridge lift.

The return trip was only slighty more bouncy as we were against wind and tide, but still flat calm. We have found the ideal cruising speed at about 24kts through the water which equates to around 3200 rpm.

So that's two courses saves on the plotter that I know work :wave

Hi Mark good to see that big smile again today.

Southwold harbour is not difficult but whatever you do phone the harbour master for your entrance way point before trying it.

There is a big sand bank that moves around by the entrance and he will give you the waypoint and heading to clear it.

You will also need some long bits of string to tie up with.

First time in it is best to aim for half hour either side of high tide and preferably before it.

Have a feeling that you are not going to wait for Whitson to try it.

Take it you are happy with the new plotter?

It was a surprise to see you at Reedham, Ian but sorry we had no time to stop for a chat as the bridge was in the process of opening for us!

I'm not sure about getting to Southwold before Whitsun, as it's still that bit of fear of the unknown, but who knows! At least getting a few miles down the coast and back safely boosted our confidence in the boat as well as our own ability. Sharon helmed for some way, and I made her slow to a stop and then get back up on the plane just so she knew what to expect should she have to do it for any reason. Jack also took the helm for a couple of miles too!

We couldn't have asked for better conditions, even if the breeze was a bit on the cool side, but my face and forehead still look like bloody beetroot this evening :oops: . My parents thoroughly enjoyed the weekend with us too, even though my Mum was adamant she didn't want to go to sea, and she ended up loving it. We even got to see half a dozen seals too!! :wave

The chartplotter is a massive comfort too, along with the large scale leisure folio charts I bought from Luke, and suddenly everything seems to make sense when you are looking at buoys and trying to visualise where the Stanford channel is !!!

Another week or two and we'll be booking a bridge lift at Yarmouth to do that run up the coast, but this weekend was a resounding success and doubled the number of salty trips we have taken :dance

The chartplotter is a massive comfort too, along with the large scale leisure folio charts I bought from Luke

I hope you have corrected your charts Mark (I haven't started on my set yet as there will be even more NM's before I venture Salty up that way)

Please also remember that electronic charts tend to get out of date, especially in areas where the bottom moves as much as it does off Lowestoft and Yarmouth!

I also trust that your skipper's briefing to the crew included what to do in case of a MOB (i.e. a Mark over board!)

Joking aside I

its good to see you plucking up the courage to take her out!

Martin

Glad it all went well.

gave Heather the controls while I went down below for a minute or two while on route to the Deben last year. Remember looking out the toilet window and thinking there should be land there.

On returning to the flybridge I found we were a fair way from our route and when I asked why I was told I thought I had to follow the circle.

We were going in ever increasing circles as when the vessel indicator on the chart plotter moved right of the course line so she turned right.

Just goes to show you should take nothing for granted.:lol: