Litter Removal From The Rivers

Meantime

I thought I would start a new topic for this one.

According to the government website it is your local council responsibility to sweep the streets and remove litter.

https://www.gov.uk/local-street-cleaning

Likewise there is a link where you can report litter on your local streets.

https://www.gov.uk/report-litter

The amount of rubbish in the rivers has increased dramatically since the local authorities removed the waste disposal facilities. Its very counter productive and any extra rubbish that ends up on the streets is their responsibility to dispose of still, but who's responsibility is it to remove the rubbish from the rivers. This is a genuine question, rather than a hypothetical who should be responsible. I would like to know who actually IS responsible?

Is it the local authority, Is it the BA? Is it the EA? Who do we report it to, and how do we report it?

The banks of the upper Yare are an absolute disgrace at present. I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but another forum owner has also got a bee in his bonnet about this same subject and I cannot help but agree with him on this particular subject.

The banks and the rivers are two different things, on the banks it's the land owner, if someone fly tips on a farm, the farmer has to pay to clear it up.

On the river it's the navigation, And I really don't know who's is responsible outside of the private broads..

• Thanks 1

Just now, TheQ said:

The banks and the rivers are two different things, on the banks it's the land owner, if someone fly tips on a farm, the farmer has to pay to clear it up.

On the river it's the navigation, And I really don't know who's is responsible outside of the private broads..

The problem is what constitutes the bank and what constitutes the navigation. On the upper Yare a lot of the rubbish is in the water, at the edge, stuck amongst the reeds. The recent high water has raised the high water litter mark, and that along with the lack of tree blossom and leaves has left a lot more of it visible. Woods End to Surlingham really is depressing. In places you could count 10 to 15 plastic items within a 2ft section of bank. None of that is going away anytime soon. It might get covered once the trees start to bloom, but it will still be there just hidden until next Winter.

• Sad 1

Until last year I regularly bagged up rubbish on the bank, sometimes enough to well fill an eleven foot long dory. These I have taken to our local tip, no questions asked, until now. Last year I was asked and I answered quite truthfully that it was waste off the river bank, then my problems started, it was NOT household rubbish therefore it was deemed commercial rubbish, I would have to pay. What do landowners who clear up fly tipped rubbish do? Me, I just fed my black bin a couple of bags at a time until it had all gone, over several months. 

What do landowners who clear up fly tipped rubbish do?

I’ve heard of farmers moving fly tipped waste off their land to the roadside and reporting it to the council.
Very risky but if they don’t then they’re expected to pay for commercial waste disposal.
Doesn’t seem fair but I’ve heard from a couple of different land owners that them’s the rules.