Yarmouth to Lowestoft - and back!

Hi All

This weekend was planned as a lads jolly, with Col and I taking Serenity out through Yamrouth and to Oulton Broad via Lowestoft on Saturday, then doing the return trip on Sunday.

I had already booked Haven Bridge during the week, and it then transpired Ian (Senator) was also doing the same run, so we had a mini Salty Bottom convoy. It was actually very helpful having Ian infront of us and picking up on his radio protocol through Yarmouth, never having been through there before.

The bridge lift and trip out through Yarmouth all went smoothly. When we exited the pier heads we were presented with about a 1m beam sea from the north which rolled us about a bit! As we turned south for Lowestoft, it became a quite noticable swell on our port quarter, but even so 22kts and a bit of anticipation from me on the helm meant it was no real problem and we soon settled into the rhythm. Ian was on his flybridge and looked as though he could reach out an touch the water as he had a rather exaggerated list, but he seemed happy enough :o

We made the 14:30 Lowestoft lift and so up to Oulton Broad for the night, with a few beers (well ok, quite a lot) a curry, some live music and good conversation. (Comment was made, however, by one inhebriated young lady that Col and I looked either like brothers or lovers. Not too sure which I prefer :? )

Sunday morning was bright, though windy (from the west), and started around 8am with a nice clear head, a good fry-up, and then preparing to go through Mutford at 10:30. We made a complete hash of leaving the boat we were rafted to, which nearly saw Serenity being blown down the broad with us still standing on Meluha :oops: . Several lessons were learned in those 5 minutes, but luckily a bruised hand and couple of pulled muscles were the only result.

I was completely astonshed by the pressure generated by just a brisk breeze on the side of Serenity, even though her canopies were off. Until you've felt that through a rope and realise how hard it is for two quite big blokes to fight it, you have no idea just how much these planing hulls get blown around :o

Having made the 11:15 bridge lift (just!), we followed Clandestine into Hamilton Dock to have a quick cuppa at the Haven Marina pontoons. Quite a decent spot albeit rather industrial, but still a viable alternative if RNSYC is too busy!

A good run up to Yarmouth with a calm sea with just enough chop to make it fun, and we were at Yarmouth. I thought the harbour entrance was further south that it actually is, and so made a rather fetching "Z" approach, but we got there in the end. Arriving at Haven Bridge about half an hour early, we moored at Town Hall Quay, and a quick dash into town had us returning 20 mins later with a KFC to top up that mornings brekkie. Through the bridge on time, and then under the side span at Breydon Bridge (there are advantages to only being little :naughty: ) and I was munching cold KFC at 25kts over Breydon :grin: .

Another good weekend, in good company, with experience gained and a couple of very valuable lessons learned. :wave

cheersbar

I hadn't realise you were doing all this. It was a bit of a surprise when I got to the marina to see Serenity's berth was empty. It looked a bit blowy to me for a run to sea but glad it worked out fine. I think you have now overtaken me in terms of trips to sea (6?).

Anyway, you might be interested to know that Canada / Norway / Cornwall is now officially cancelled and a week out on the boat has been penned in to replace it. Assuming successful testing on Breydon we might even join up with the Southwold gathering, though at present there are no actual plans to go to Southwold ourselves.

Hi Mark

As you say another good experiance, your log will soon be full up :grin:

I know what you mean about the amount of force a blown boat exherts, mind you it's not just the planning boats. I reckon that Sea Jem is comparable to Roscoe in that area, with her sail like propotions :o

rgds

Wayne

Lowestoft ?? Yarmouth ?????? Why bother???????

Personally I use the car that way I can get away without waiting for tide and weather. :ugeek:

Going by car doesn't raise nearly such a smile though Lou. :grin:

Lowestoft ?? Yarmouth ?????? Why bother???????

Personally I use the car that way I can get away without waiting for tide and weather. :ugeek:

Along with hundreds of others. At least we only had three boats in sight and no traffic jams :grin:

And the huge smile at the end of an exciting journey of course :naughty:

Well I did tell you we were leaving about 10-10:30 in your topic about your winch!! :grin:

Oh, I thought you said you would be ARRIVING about 1030! :oops:

Nice write up Mark and good to see you and Col over the weekend, cheersbar

It was good to catch up with you and the crew as well Ian, please thank Heather for that much appreciated cup of tea at Hamilton dock. It did make me laugh though when the guy on the radio at Lowestoft control called you by your first name, which threw you into total confusion. :lol: Clearly you go through Lowestoft far to often.

Anyway Mark, remind me why the inebriated young lady thought of the lover element? :naughty: Have you had your hair cut yet. :lol:

I must say Mark you have certainly mastered how to helm a planing boat over the last couple of months and your use of trim control to improve comfort levels was impeccable, especially in the conditions we were met with on Saturday. :clap

Anyway, thanks for the invite Mark, enjoyed every bit of the weekend. When asked where would I rather be, working on the kitchen or out on your boat? I don't think I need to answer that. ;)

cheersbar

Nice one Mark. glad it all went to plan even the Sea state was what you predicted.

Jonathan :Stinky

Can I suggest a little sign for next time you and Col are moored up.

" If this boats rocking. Don,t come knocking"

Hi Merlyn

I know we have spoken at the marina, and thought it was you on that lovely 410, but couldn't for the life of me think of your login name :oops: . Good to see you too and it was yet another Sealine procession :grin:

Col,

I think we may have released too much information!!!! :lol:

Jimbo,

So who's the short one then?? Oh, that would be YOU :lol: