Engel Fridge

Hi Ian

In the past I always found Engel fridges to be very inefficient, drawing approximately 5amps when on 12v. Might pay to bite the bullet and replace it with an Isotherm, they run under 1 amp on 12v.

You could PM Brian to see if he has any contacts to repair your Engel.

cheersbar

Hi Ian

In the past I always found Engel fridges to be very inefficient, drawing approximately 5amps when on 12v. Might pay to bite the bullet and replace it with an Isotherm, they run under 1 amp on 12v.

You could PM Brian to see if he has any contacts to repair your Engel.

cheersbar

2 issues with replacement Colin, firstly size, the one on Clanny is built in, with flanges to fix rather than floor mounted and I don't think there is an IsoTherm to suit the opening and secondly paying £500 plus for a fridge for the boat seems a lot, then again I am a bit tight when it comes to anything other than the propulsion and safety side :)

" issues with replacement Colin, firstly size, the one on Clanny is built in, with flanges to fix rather than floor mounted and I don't think there is an IsoTherm to suit the opening and secondly paying £500 plus for a fridge for the boat seems a lot, then again I am a bit tight when it comes to anything other than the propulsion and safety side "

Hi, you can buy a isotherm commpressor and evaporator ,and fit them in your existing case,they come ready charged with reselable couplings,and a stat,still quiete expensive but not as much as a whole one,i did this in a previus boat and could run the fridge on 1 ,anymore and milk started to freeze ,you have to measure the cubic capasity and buy the nearest one to suit

worth a look, it,s my next project also as my engel sounds like a traction engine!! :wave

The Engel is a little noisy, bit of a nuisance while at planning speeds as it disturbs the natural whoosh of the wind and the gentle splash of the props. (Sorry will only be understood by more refined Salty Bottoms)

The fridge works fine except for the power Trev, have found a board but it is £200, then again the more I type on this thread the tighter I feel, :oops:

Ian

The Engel is a little noisy, bit of a nuisance while at planning speeds as it disturbs the natural whoosh of the wind and the gentle splash of the props.Ian

Through it over the side Ian - who needs milk anyway !! :naughty:

Hi, you can buy a isotherm commpressor and evaporator ,and fit them in your existing case

That's an interesting thought, as although my Engel fridge works fine, it is annoyingly noisey, especially at night. :mad:

I'll be very ineterested in how the 'project' works out :)

Dave

Hi Rod,

Thanks for that but as I work aligned to the refrigeration trade the fridge has already been transported to Birmingham and been checked out by a local refrige man.

The cold bit is fine it is the electrical bits where there is a problem.

Unfortunately the local fridge sparky is not so hot on 12v240v stuff

The Engel is a little noisy, bit of a nuisance while at planning speeds as it disturbs the natural whoosh of the wind and the gentle splash of the props. (Sorry will only be understood by more refined Salty Bottoms)Ian

I'm surprised you can hear anything over the sound of the petrol gushing into your carbs :naughty: