Car Talk

LondonRascal

Hi When I first started my apprenticeship cars had a 1,000 mile interval grease up service,  3,000 mile oil change service, and  you only had a choice of 20sae 30 sae 40sae depending on time/temp of the year,  gearbox oil was changed at 6,000 and often a Decoke at 40,000  50,000 miles.  two types of antifreeze that had to be flushed out at start of summer and refilled with water. Vehicles have come a long way since then but!! still not user safe for many who dont follow advice from those that know best.John

• Like 2

3 hours ago, annv said:

Hi When I first started my apprenticeship cars had a 1,000 mile interval grease up service,  3,000 mile oil change service, and  you only had a choice of 20sae 30 sae 40sae depending on time/temp of the year,  gearbox oil was changed at 6,000 and often a Decoke at 40,000  50,000 miles.  two types of antifreeze that had to be flushed out at start of summer and refilled with water. Vehicles have come a long way since then but!! still not user safe for many who dont follow advice from those that know best.John

I had a decoke and the valves ground in on my first car. It ran beautifully after that. I always remember my 1.6 Pinto Cortina always seem to run better in slightly damp conditions. 

I remember the breather pipes getting blocked and mayo on the filler cap. Happy days.