Unreasonable Insurance Company ?

OldBerkshireBoy

Evening all,

Using an online company mentioned in other threads it all started out ok. I answered all their questions and received a quote, replied to accept the quotation and was asked to pay the premium which I did however then received forms to fill out, sign and return and this is where I`m now thinking what planet are they on.

There is nothing special about the boat. It is a 37ft GRP Broads cruiser with original BMC engine built 1980. So why are they saying "An automatic fire extinguisher fitted in the engine compartment is a requirement on this policy"? I must of looked at hundreds of boat details before buying and not one of them had this system fitted. I could understand if it was large gin palace worth six figures but it`s not.

Furthermore how many of you know .....When your mooring was laid, who by and when was the last time it was inspected and who by?

(Personally I prefer whom but that is a different matter) lol.

Think I shall be asking for my money back and going elsewhere.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Evening all,

Using an online company mentioned in other threads it all started out ok. I answered all their questions and received a quote, replied to accept the quotation and was asked to pay the premium which I did however then received forms to fill out, sign and return and this is where I`m now thinking what planet are they on.

There is nothing special about the boat. It is a 37ft GRP Broads cruiser with original BMC engine built 1980. So why are they saying "An automatic fire extinguisher fitted in the engine compartment is a requirement on this policy"? I must of looked at hundreds of boat details before buying and not one of them had this system fitted. I could understand if it was large gin palace worth six figures but it`s not.

Furthermore how many of you know .....When your mooring was laid, who by and when was the last time it was inspected and who by?

(Personally I prefer whom but that is a different matter) lol.

Think I shall be asking for my money back and going elsewhere.

The auto fire extinguisher thing usually only relates to higher speed boats so that is worth checking on, if you had a swinging mooring on tidal water you would want to know yourself when it was laid and when last inspected.

It sounds like they are standard questions for a coastal policy.

• Like 4

The only bit of advice i will give people is to NEVER EVER use an on-line company. I always use a company who i can talk to on the phone, or better still, if local, have an office or shop i can go into. That way, you have someone to talk to.  I did use one once, but when i changed my car, it was nigh on impossible to change the details on my policy, so i insured my new car seperately and cancelled my old policy completely. 

I very rarely buy on-line, and as for e-bay .............. forget it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

The only bit of advice i will give people is to NEVER EVER use an on-line company. I always use a company who i can talk to on the phone, or better still, if local, have an office or shop i can go into. That way, you have someone to talk to.  I did use one once, but when i changed my car, it was nigh on impossible to change the details on my policy, so i insured my new car seperately and cancelled my old policy completely. 

I very rarely buy on-line, and as for e-bay .............. forget it.

Hi Neil,

I guess we are all Luddites at heart, you have to be able to talk to a person at an insurance company to get the best possible deal, talking about the options you need and more importantly the options you don't. 

Online is OK to get a feel of the company but you always have to follow it up with a phone enquiry, I have heard so many horror stories from friends that have used some of the well advertised companies.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1