Sulphur reduction in Red for 2011

Interesting DOT document, worth a look, at least the reduction in sulphur content may help with the heaters coking up issue. The other implications are possibly more negative as most old tractor engines used in broads boats rely on a bit of it for lube. Also the bio fuel percentile may not be a good thing at all considering how lon it stands in some folks tanks.

fuelquality.pdf

Reading the document it looks like we will pay slightly more for the sulphur free diesel and bigger chance of getting fuel bug if not regurlarly filled up. This apparently does not effect sea going marine users which seems to me to defeat the object if they are still going to put in sulphur diesel.Bit one sided if you ask me thats if i've read it right. It must concern older broads type engines which have been using sulphur diesel for 20 years plus as it could effect there engine seals etc.

I’m sure there will be some kind of expensive snake oil out soon to “counteract the harmful effects†of ULSD on older engines. Personally I am quite persuaded by the 2 stroke argument that Poppy alludes to. Fortunately the D4 in Kingfisher and obviously any new boat we buy are happier with ULSD anyway; it’s still the bio fuel percentage that worries me the most.

• 7 months later...

We filled up at Boulters last Saturday and they still have the Sulphur

diesel and according to Sonny, they will try to source more until

it's no longer available anywhere.

As for putting 2T oil in the tank, My old perkins 4108 does'nt need

any help with the smoking issue on start up! and it's in pretty

good order too. Others in our marina are far worse by a long way.

We filled up at Boulters last Saturday and they still have the Sulphur

diesel and according to Sonny, they will try to source more until

it's no longer available anywhere.

As for putting 2T oil in the tank, My old perkins 4108 does'nt need

any help with the smoking issue on start up! and it's in pretty

good order too. Others in our marina are far worse by a long way.

It's illegal to do that now, all diesel sold for use on inland waterways must be ULSD since January this year, I guess there would be leniency for what was left in suppliers / boat owners tanks but we’re now five months down the line and I certainly wouldn't be buying diesel that had been sat in a suppliers bulk tank that long anyway.

"Sulphur Free Gas Oil regulations came into force on the 1st January 2011. These new regulations made it an offence to sell red diesel with a sulphur content of more than 10ppm (previous level 1000ppm) for use in inland waterway craft and recreational craft that do not go to sea.

Applicability to Marine Sector

It is now an offence to sell gas oil containing more than 10 mg (20 mg at point of sale) of sulphur per kilogram of fuel to inland waterway craft and recreational craft when not at sea. Sea going craft, heating or stationary equipment are excluded.

Definition of ‘at sea’

The Department for Transport has advised that the definitions from the Merchant Shipping (Prevention of Air Pollution) Regulations will be adopted to define the geographical limits of the Directive. This means that ‘not at sea’, and hence the limit of the applicability of the Directive, will include all of MCA Category A & B waters ( the Broad are category A waters with Breydon Water being category B) . In addition deep lakes and lochs within Category C will be considered ‘not at sea’ where the significant wave height will not exceed 1.2m.

If gas oil is supplied for sea going marine use, there is no requirement for it to be virtually sulphur free, but if it is supplied for inland waterways vessels and recreational craft that will be used on the inland waterways, then the sulphur content will be restricted."

"the following suppliers have made their intent public:

• Greenergy - Dedicated sulphur free gas oil no FAME content

• Ineos - Dedicated sulphur free gas oil no FAME content

• Mabanaft – Dedicated sulphur free gas oil no FAME content from 5 out of 6 terminals, 1 will have FAME content"

Surely if a supplier has diesel left in their tanks then they can sell the stuff? eg. Boulters until its all gone.

If you re read my post you will see that’s exactly what I said, what I am questioning is that would have to be at least six months since the last delivery they had which I would think is most unlikely. Possibly a case of telling you what you want to hear (there’s a lot of it about) :grin:

One thing is absolutely certain, he told you that he will keep sourcing sulpur diesel which is now illegal and if he doesn't know that then I dispair, though frankly I suspect that the depots would simply refuse to supply it anyway.