Restoration.

Springsong

Hi jonny

I really don't like the finish Sadolin gives, I can understand why people use it it's more or less maintenance free but i would rather have a real wood colour and a glossy varnish finish pesonally. cheers

I would agree Barry i woody never looks its best unless its got a nice varnish or a nice while hull paint realy spoils its topside.

but then again some woodys who do have painted tops can look rather nice depending on what they use.

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

This may well be the last entry/blog/narrative before Christmas, so, if I may wish all my readers a

MERRY CHRISTMAS

AND

A HAPPY NEW YEAR

So mainly boring stuff, hot air gun and sander to the fore in the photo the large piece

of wood is the rail that stands on the cockpit floor lengthways like a kitchen up stand if you will.

This pile of timber will be the galley floor once it is possibly stained, but definitely varnished.

The final photo is the inside of the cockpit side, the other bits in the first photo are the various pieces removed from this unit. I have decided to belt sand both sides to restore the colour, I just have to buy some belts of various grades.

post-133-136713622401_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713622409_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713622415_thumb.jpg

:grin: It's looking good Barry, not seen it mentioned but are you staining all the woodwork before you varnish?? I've gutted my 813 and I'm not sure what the worst part of the job is, stripping all the old varnish or staining it all to match, the previous owner had used coloured varnish in places, one of my biggest pet hates, polyurethane varnish on doors thats a bugger to get off, I've ended up re-placing most of the woodwork and I think the doors have had it too, looks like they used coloured varnish to hide where they went through the veneer, then used poly varnish over that, so it looks like I'll be making new doors as well, Supprising how much wood there is on a GRP boat, I don't envy you beiing all wood,,,

Regards Frank,,,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Frank

Sorry I have taken so long to reply, I move very slowly in the cold :yawn:

I don't think I shall use any stain just let the natural wood shine through. They say stain should be used especially with mahogany outside, to retain its color, but I don't mind that yellowy tinge it takes on. I guess your interior is mainly ply and veneers so stripping can be a little delicate, I have to be very careful with heat as I am dealing with old fashioned glues, maybe even good old cow heel glue. :)

All the best for the new year and your new (fairly) aquisition.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year. It has been that so long since I posted on the restoration I have almost forgotten how to do it, the result being I have no idea what order the photos are in. After an extended Christmas break, mainly because I don't do ice and snow very well, I have at last had a day at the barn.

The port side cockpit side is now almost ready for some varnish I just have to give it a final rub down with 320 grit paper to get a mirror finish. It has been a long process but I have managed to get some real color back into it using a belt sander with 120 grit belts, a little risky but I haven't made too many holes. I will post some photos next week of that.

The photos this week are of the forward companionway steps, these are mahogany as opposed to the aft ones being oak.

As you can see the mess left by the glue used to stick the tread master panels and the holes dug into the wood I ume to give a key. have given them a good seeing to with the belt (sander) and beaten them almost into submission some of the holes being so deep that I have had to resort to mahogany flavoured filler. I have given them a white spirit wash to see how they will look. The areas of filler do show up but by the time I have added some anti slip strip and the area they are in is all dark mahogany I don't think it will show overmuch. I hope.

post-133-136713640605_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713640614_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713640621_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Barry, i`ve just spent the last three evenings reading this thread from start to finish, and i have to hand it to you, you `ve all done a fantastic job so far. It`s so good to see a real Broads classic being brought back to her prime, and i`m sure you`ll cruise the rivers and Broads with your heads held high, and you deserve to do so. I just can`t wait to see the finished article. Maybe we should try to organise a forum launching ceromony, and crack a bottle of bubbly over the stem, providing you don`t mind running the risk of a slight mark in the paint that is :lol: . Keep up the great workmanship, and i hope to see you and her on the water in all her glory. Regards...............Neil. cheerscheerscheers:wave:wave:wave:wave

Hi Neil

Thanks for the encouaging comments, we seem to have an hiatus in the proceedings at present, Alan and I were down at the boat yesterday and got a bit done, I took some more things off to take to the barn for varnishing, cupboard doors more drawers and cupboard shelving, but more of that next week. Hopefully when the weather gets a little warmer I can spend more time in the boat varnishing and fitting more of the ash ing in the saloon.

Being outside doesn't help but at least now being close at hand and having my stairs and the barn I can do about as much as my poor (in both senses) old body can manage these days. Speaking of which Alan and I went down to Wayford on Monday, it stayed dry in the morning and with the help of a fan heater we were actually quite snug.

Alan continued with fettling the aft galley/cockpit door which is almost finished apart from a small disaster

The cover at sometime must have caught the oak veneer on the door allowing water to get behind said veneer. So what Alan came up with which sounds an excellent solution to me was to router it out and let a piece of ash into the inside top of the door. This will go with the rest of the theme in the boat and when epoxied into place will made a good watertight seal to the door top, we will of course to this to both doors. I have no photos of this but next week I shall take some.

I was not entirely idle whilst Alan was beavering away, I took the shelves and drawers out of the sideboard to take to the barn.

So as you don't think me lazy a (person) I also removed the cupboard doors ready to go to the barn, one of them in the bottom corner has had some damp in it so I shall have try and revive it and bring it back to match the other one. The grain on these doors is so attractive I think.

I also made the coffee and ate Christmas cake :)

I went to the barn today to take all the aforementioned bits and pieces and spent the whole morning having a tidy up, the dust in this place is horrendous I shall have to take a vacuum with me next time and keep it there. Much of the dust is stripped varnish with goes to dust when one walks on it.

post-133-136713643032_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713643291_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713643298_thumb.jpg

Barry! looking at those doors providing the wood hasn't gone soft, they look like they will come up a treat, at least you have the luxury of a Barn, I'm varnishing all mine in the kitchen, hopefully next week I can start putting the front cabin back together, just got the rest of the boat to do then, I'm replacing nearly all of the woodwork and trying to make it look old, so far it looks good but I'll see better when it's back together, I've spoken to Jock a couple of times, and he seems like a very nice bloke, I bet he'll be glad when it's all finished,,

Regards Frank,,

Hi Frank sorry about delay in replying. There is no soft wood in the doors just discoloration fortuneately so I do not foresee any difficuty (please).

KITCHEN I'm not even allowed in there to cook never mind varnish, I would get two guns for even thinking to myself or even for myself come to that. Yes Jock is a good sort in fact one of the best. :bow

So as promised a photo of the damaged door where the water has affected the veneer. Alan has decided to use a tenon saw to cut out the damage as opposed to the router. We were going to do it today but he forgot the saw so instead we started on the lining of the starboard lockers in the aft well.

I of course over time have been thinking about fendering for the transom, I had hoped to use a large sausage type fender but did not really want it to hang there all the time spoiling the sight of that lovely wood. It turns out that with very little jiggery pokery we can actually fit in the small locker, which is on top of one of the steering cable drums, a couple of warps and two rhond anchors, and in the larger locker we can fit a 27†/ 28†700mm fender on end and fully inflated, this is indeed good news. The said fender will have some form of quick release snap hooks but I have not thought that far ahead yet.

post-133-136713644269_thumb.jpg

I had a similar problem with my last boat, due to a leaking windscreen. I did exactly what Clive suggested in his last post and it worked a treat, to the point where, once I had re-varnished, you couldn't tell that there had ever been a problem.

Regards

Steve

hi clive

my friend had wood worm in one of the beams in her wattle and daub house so i injected the holes with

cuprinol 5 star.

to get my hands on syringes i asked to buy some at the chemist and they just looked confused and said they

gave them to drug adicts but dident sell them, so i went to another chemist and said i was a drug adict and got

a pack of 10.

is there a way of getting them without going through that ?

jill

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, We use syringes for fine detail bonding on the aircraft interiors. We get through DOZENS A WEEK, so if anybody needs some, i`l see what i can do. I`l have to find some way of sending them, but i`m sure we could think of something?. Regards to all..............Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, Regarding my post above concerning syringes, i have the details of the supplier, but i don`t think it`s a good idea to post them in the OPEN forum, but can post them in the Members only area, or alternatively, i can PM them to anybody that would like them. Regards.................Neil.

Well this week seems to have been one of cleaning, I now have a vacuum cleaner at the barn so I can keep the dust down for varnishing.

The forward steps from the cockpit have now had their first coat of 50/50 varnish /white spirit. I am quite pleased with the way they are shaping up. This shows the side pieces that the steps fit to.

These are the steps with their first coat of 50/50.

post-133-136713648584_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713648593_thumb.jpg

We couldn't go to the boat on Monday with it snowing all morning, so I went to the barn and did some work there. The temperature in the barn never got above 3 degrees but I tried a coat of 50/50 on the exit / entrance cockpit door, I amm not entirely happy with the plywood panel it appears to have come up rather dark. I shall have another go at it with sand paper because I am going to epoxy all the edges where it fits into the frame and possibly the whole panel.

I think on reflection some stain on the triangular pieces let into the far side might be a good idea as well.

So Tuesday apart from a light shower early on before we left for SP and a bitter lazy wind we had a perfect day in Wayford sunshine and no rain.

Alan was reading a book on boat building and found this gizmo for making a pattern to make a curve. He then made one for himself as you can see . The two pieces of wood to the left are the pieces of ash to be let into the tops of the doors to prevent the oak veneer getting damaged again, we shall as well inject glue into the back of the veneer and then clamp it. This is thanks to you guys who sugested this idea. Hopefully this will cure the de lamination.

The locker floors and internal sides are coming along as you can see from the picture the gizmo is in use to make a panel to run from the inside edge of the locker to the inside of the hull SP being a round bilge cruiser this is where the curve of the bilge and the gizmo come into play. From the photo you can see each leg is adjusted to touch the curve even allowing for anything such as a stringer in the way. A very clever piece of kit.

I in the mean time have started to sand the ash roof beams to ready them for varnishing, I tell you working with ones arm and a sander or even without above ones head is a real torture, I don't know whether it will help but I think one of those detail sanders maybe in order, smaller and lighter worth a try methinks.

post-133-136713649251_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713649261_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713649271_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713649518_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713649526_thumb.jpg