Tolls

wayneakp

Hiya all

Can anyone tell me if they had a boat in 2005 what were the tolls that year and what block area did that relate to. I am interested to find out what percentage increase there has been since then.

It has to be 2005 as that is the last time the policy was reviewed.

Many thanks

Wayne

That sounds very much like the sort of thinking B- would apply to Visitors tolls, looks good on paper as they just use last years visitors figures and change them into full tolls, not even any need to take account of people that might have visited more than once. Should swell the figures considerably.

There will also be the benefit of not having to deal with complaints from Visitors about the bridges due to there not being any. Win Win situation. :?

It will be a sure fire way to stop visitors coming to the Broads by boats from outside the area if introduced.

On that basis I suggest the next salty bottom meet is the other side of Mutford for the benefit of the Ipswich/Shotley contingent.

Beer Vouchers in lieu of an annual toll would be some night out cheersbarcheersice slice

Somebody certainly is John; they are not that commercially unaware, a move like that would clearly lead to a drop in revenue, both in tolls and to local businesses. Regardless of any opinion people may have of BA top management one thing they are not is suicidal, you can’t build an empire by taking decisions like that.

I have done a little more research on this and asked my source where this information came from... His reply was pretty much along these lines..

British Waterways have something called a Waterways Explorer License which runs for a 30 day period. BW and their reciprocal arrangement with EA was proposed to end at the end of this season However, due to campaigning this is to continue but will only be available for online applicants and will only be available once per season. BA have watched this argument very closely as they feel that visitor tolls are expensive to manage and that many people who buy visitor tolls end up buying a full toll anyway, thereby claiming the original cost back.

It appears that BA would like to end the visitor toll in light of this but nothing has been decided, although from next season it may be that the visitor toll be fixed for a 30 day visitor toll only.

Interesting to see how this plays out, but will be really pants if you chose to visit in February!!!!!

If that is the thinking then it is IMHO fundamentally flawed, the visiting boats that end up broads based are then far less likely to come in the first place and I know of quite a number of boats that visit on an annual basis but would never consider being broads based. It’s Ok to pay around £50 for 14 days or so as a taster and then make a decision but £250 or £300 for the same period is not likely to be even considered. I can’t even accept the argument on admin costs, most short term tolls are issued by staff carrying out other duties like lock keepers, harbour masters and rangers and the cost of producing the toll display and collation of the returns from the above three sources can’t amount to much and would be carried out by a pretty junior admin at Dragonslayer House. I really can't see it, the numbers make no sense.

If this were the case it would be interesting to see what the 30 day figure would be.

From memory, four 7 day visitors tolls added up to roughly the cost of a full years tolls anyway, if they were to continue down the same sort of pricing line then Gavs original report, scrapping visitors tolls and only allowing full year tolls, would be correct, 30 days = 1 year.

David, Think the empire has been using Jerry methods in its building, it is getting a bit top heavy and could be just about to topple.

Any help Wayne

See 3.2

Yes many thanks - confirmed what I had found out

55% increase though - I understand the need to generate income to improve the area and facilities but then how can the policy regarding tolls set back in 2005 still be current with that sort of increase.

:?

• 1 month later...

hiya

don't get me started !! :-)

Have a look at the price per square meter or foot for classes of boats ?

not hard to work out and you will not be surprised to see that

a dingy with no engine works out a lot more than say a twin engine

cruiser. Now how does that work ?

But then again what is anyone going to do about the BA robbery ?

I'll leave my boat out of the water next year if everyone else does ..

Rich

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
hiya

don't get me started !! :-)

Have a look at the price per square meter or foot for classes of boats ?

not hard to work out and you will not be surprised to see that

a dingy with no engine works out a lot more than say a twin engine

cruiser. Now how does that work ?

But then again what is anyone going to do about the BA robbery ?

I'll leave my boat out of the water next year if everyone else does ..

Rich

Hi Richard, What CAN the toll payers do?. The BA are unelected, so don`t have to give value for money, to keep their positions. Now IF they were electable, like a council, they just may start to consider what their electors want. Until that becomes a very unlikely reality. they will keep on laughing in the toll payers faces, and then fly off buisness class to some luxury hotel to attend some other "global conference" that`ll have NO bearing whatsoever on the running of the broads. Or am i just being too damn synical?. Regards .............. Neil.

Now IF they were electable, like a council, they just may start to consider what their electors want.

There's a flaw in that argument Neil (with all due respect :) )

Ok, Councilors are elected, but how many councils rates don't go up like the BA Tolls ?

In other areas of the country, River Tolls are administered by other bodies, also non-electable, like the EA and British Waterways.

I've kept boats on various waterways around the UK, and the BA Toll rates are currently the cheapest of all the others areas I've used. :)

• 3 weeks later...

the BA dont have countless locks and loos etc to maintain.

jill

But the do have a great deal more dredging to carry out and they have far fewer Toll payers than the Canals (around a quarter).

The Fens are the closest comparison to the Broads, and their fees are nearly double.